Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old September 14, 2010   #1
hank
Tomatovillian™

Default Still getting tomatoes?

Just wondered how your crops are doing. Mine is in full production. Bring your truck. The genetics of commercial toms plus an umbrella of daconil is truly amazing to a newby tomato producer like me. Picture a 1/2 acre of tomatoes producing 1000 lbs. per day!! Partner and son Brian and I are constantly shaking our heads in amazement. Everyone should try one plant just to see.
My choice this year was Mountain Fresh. There are others. Hope to hear from you all about anything. Hank
Old September 15, 2010   #2
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Today I bought some round red things that looked like tomatoes that were trucked in from who knows where. I ate them and pretended they were good. I have not had more than a handful in this southern swamp I live in since the first of August.

Congratulations on your growing!
Old September 15, 2010   #3
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes are all but finished here. Sungold is still pumping out our favorite golden cherries but the heirlooms, despite a great year, are finally giving it up. Only KBX, SOTW and AR survive.....but, barely... Has been a tremendous year!!! No complaints.
Old September 15, 2010   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Lots a cherry and a few larger ones but not many. It's really petering off for me.

Greg
Old September 15, 2010   #5
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Considering the late plant set out I had this year yes I am still getting maters. 42 plants several varieties and hauling in 1 to two heavy grocery bags every time I go to pick them. Some have been rather large too.Congrats on a good season Hank.

Kevin
Old September 16, 2010   #6
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Still going pretty good here. I picked over 300 black cherries this week from 2 plants and there are more coming. I'm getting a third flush from one Sprite plant. Goose Creek, Cuostralee, German Johnson(PL), Not Rostova and Ramapo still setting and have many that will be ready before the first frost. Best year here in the last 5 or 6.
Old September 16, 2010   #7
hank
Tomatovillian™

To Original,
Yep that's what I grow, the bland ones, but they are a bit better if picked ripened. I've got about 300 plants of Brandys, Rutgers, Dr. Wyches, Purple Cs, and a few I forgot what. They have been a failure in comparison. If they are not perfect globes where someone can see perfect globes nearby, they will not sell unless a dedicated person is out there giving education.
Old September 21, 2010   #8
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

I tore out all four of the plants in my main planter box -- I missed two weeks of spraying, and they'd all come down with some kind of foliar disease, AND mass amounts of tomato hornworms.

The two 'maters in pots outlived their particular breed of blahs and are merrily setting fruit in the cooler temps. Keeping my fingers crossed that they make up for how bad this season went for me.
Old October 23, 2010   #9
hank
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes have not been ripening for awhile. Lots of green ones still. Plants still perfect until...last night's frost. Much darkening of the plants today. I'll try to salvage what I can. Very nice season overall. About 20,000 lbs harvested from essentially 1/2 acre. Lots to think about this Winter. Hank
Old October 24, 2010   #10
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Good deal Hank,

I have been cleaning up my yard and taking down plants. It hasn't frosted yet but I am expecting landscapers to come in and replace my soil early in November so I have lots of clean up work to do!

My Emily Tomato still had lots of green fruit which I saved and all of the cherries were still producing. Also, Little Lucky and Doctor Lyle were still lively

Greg
Old October 24, 2010   #11
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I've still got plants producing after 5 frosts. Overhead sprinklers can do wonders. I've still got a ton of greenies. I figure the next frost will be too cold to protect them even with the sprinklers, but I think now I have another week of good weather left before that.
Happy Gardening,
Tom
Old October 24, 2010   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

I still have 40+ plants standing and their leaves weren't affected by the frost and 34 F. temps early Sat. Anything with a hint of blush was harvested late Fri. because of the forecast, though. The tomatoes haven't been ripening well at all for the last couple weeks here either. Not sure if the nice week they're predicting can help the greenies that are left, but I'm in no rush to remove plants with good sized fruits and a completely new growth of healthy leaves, so we'll see. Still having enough tomatoes to have a big bowl of them each day at this time of year is something I've never experienced before and something I'll hope for every year from now on.
1884 Yellow Pinkheart, Amazon Chocolate, Anna Russian, Black Krim, Black Pineapple,, Brandywine OTV, Brandywine Cowlick's, Brandywine Suddeth's, Chapman, Cherokee Purple, Crnkovic Yugo., Dr. Wyche's Yellow, Eva Purple Ball, Indian Stripe, JD's, KBX, Kosovo, Little Lucky, Mexico, Mountain Magic, Mrs. Benson, Northern Lights, Orange Russian 117, Polish Ellis, Porkchop, Radinilee, Russian Rose, Sandul Moldovan, Smarty, Spudakee, Sungold, Watermelon Beefsteak and Yoder's German Yellow are the ones that are most often providing my daily tomato fix.
Old October 24, 2010   #13
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Still harvesting some here; pics on another thread.
Old October 25, 2010   #14
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

I pulled out a bunch of my non-producing vines a few weeks ago, since I'm using my veggie beds as holding pens for my perennials while - with the help of my garden geek friends - I am renovating my flowerbeds. But I'm still getting a few Stupices and Sungolds, and I've managed to ripen some Delmars and Gold Medals in paper bags. Which reminds me - I'll have to check whether Delmar is the variety that isn't being offered anywhere now and save some seeds.
Old October 25, 2010   #15
hank
Tomatovillian™

I'm taking notes from all of your messages about later tomatoes.
From a year ago memory, Emily was a fairly sturdy tom as far as handling was concerned. Greg is that your experience? I'm coming from a pyo market point of view. I would not plant any for that purpose without your OK, but I could see it coming. It is a good one.
Kath, Wow. Please take notes about your results.
No more Dr. Wyche, too delicate. Cherokee Purple, ok for a few plants. They need a bit of selling because of their appearance. Same for Dr. Caroline. Rutgers ok. Romas were very popular. Brandywines were very productive and popular.
One of my good memories is eating some Rutgers toms we had managed to save for Thanksgiving.
Hank