Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old August 5, 2012   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default Two weeks until magtag vii!

Yup, it's that time again.

As I mentioned in another post, I'm sorry I haven't been as on-the-ball about everything this year, but after an incredibly busy spring at work, then being laid off, then being thrust into a new job almost immediately, my head is spinning! At least after 6 years of doing this, it's almost automatic. I'm going into the MAGTAG bin in the basement to check out what kinds of supplies we already have. I'll get back to everybody about what we still need. Greg, I assume that your kids are supplying the awards and the tip box again. Is this the case? I found a prize for largest tomato when I was at the dollar store ...

The good news is that I have lots of tomatoes fruiting!

I'll post the directions to SW Area Park again soon.
Old August 6, 2012   #2
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

The girls are very excited about making the awards. I will tell them to hold off on the largest award since your making it.

Let me know what you find. I could get some of that plastic roll for the tables and some sweet and hot sausages if you like but let me know what meat your hubby plans on bringing because I don't want to bring stuff that isn't necessary. Also I could just bring dogs for the kids with rolls if your husband has the meat covered as he seemed to like to do in the past.

Greg
Old August 7, 2012   #3
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

That's great, Greg - your kids are so creative. Bet they're especially psyched because of the Summer Olympics. I need to figure out what I did with that prize ... either that, or I'll just go back to the dollar store and get another one! Dave the Spousal Unit says he'll dig out the MAGTAG storage bin from the basement this week. We have PLENTY of supplies, although the plastic tablecloth role is definitely something we can use. I can supply some burgers, unless somebody else wants to. Dave will be happy to grill.
Old August 11, 2012   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

My daughters are doing the prizes today and will do a largest. Don't bother to buy another one.

Greg
Old August 11, 2012   #5
gflynn
MAGTAG™

We are going to do top 15 again as last year so everyone gets recognition. Alot of my usuals are not doing well so I am not sure I will do as well this year. It would be nice to see more folks get recognition for their contributions.
Old August 11, 2012   #6
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I have noted that the varieties of tomatoes offered at these public tastings are often indicated by writing directly on the tomato. This is a GREAT way of keeping track of the dozens of different tomatoes I have coming in the door right now. Do folks use a standard Sharpie pen, or are there food-grade markers out there that I am not aware of? I was just concerned about eating a tomato with ink that might not be considered 'food grade'...or am I just being paranoid?
Old August 11, 2012   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
I have noted that the varieties of tomatoes offered at these public tastings are often indicated by writing directly on the tomato. This is a GREAT way of keeping track of the dozens of different tomatoes I have coming in the door right now. Do folks use a standard Sharpie pen, or are there food-grade markers out there that I am not aware of? I was just concerned about eating a tomato with ink that might not be considered 'food grade'...or am I just being paranoid?
An industrial sharpie works better for me than the standard kind, especially if the fruits are at all damp. I mark them near the stem using small initials so that part isn't eaten by anyone...and no, I don't think you're paranoid.

kath
Old August 11, 2012   #8
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Great advice...thank you! I have somewhere near 100 varieties, and I am having trouble telling some of them apart!
Old August 11, 2012   #9
hank
Tomatovillian™

You have 100 varieties? I have definitely got to get to know you. Hank
Old August 12, 2012   #10
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Does anybody have any extra tomatoes to donate to the BLT bar? If not, I can get some from a local veggie stand ... I know Greg mentioned that his crop isn't as big this year because of the weird weather.
Old August 12, 2012   #11
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

tnpeppers, if you're coming to MAGTAG and have some unidentified tomatoes, I can use them for the BLT Bar!
Old August 13, 2012   #12
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

I may have some Toms for you yet for the BLT bar. Also, if your husband is doing the grilling can you PM me his Phone # or email address. I want to cooridinate with him to make sure we arn't buying the same grilling products.

Greg
Old August 16, 2012   #13
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

What about useful stuff to bring -- paper towels, ziploc bags -- any accessories needed?

Christine
Old August 17, 2012   #14
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Christine,

Ziploc bags and paper towels are a fine addition and as I remember, once they had no paper products in the bath room so a roll of toilet paper may be prudent.

Thanks for your help!

Greg
Old August 17, 2012   #15
rsrb
Tomatovillian™

Default MAGTAG

I'm new but I can also bring some paper supplies along with food.
Looking forward to learning how you-all managed to achieve harvests this year. Maybe I should bring pictures of my plants and the green baby tomatoes?
Just to reconfirm, we should aim for 10 am arrival?
Rose