Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2019   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Irinas Tomaten / Irina's Tomatoes

I came across another tomato seeds selling site in Germany, it is called 'Irinas Tomaten' and it is run by a husband / wife team (hubby German, wife from Russia but speaks distinctive Bavarian German .. I saw an interview on YT) .. They have a farm and produce most of their available seeds from plants they grow each year.
She has also written a tomato cookbook 'Tomaten Meine Leidenschaft' (Tomatoes, My Passion) but what really looks interesting is this bag, featuring several heirloom varieties:
https://www.irinas-shop.de/tomatentasche-p-10931.html

What a sweet gift idea, and I am tempted to order it for myself...
Has any of those tomatovillian in Germany read her book or purchased any seeds from the site?

Last edited by NarnianGarden; March 18, 2019 at 03:22 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2019   #2
DapsSeeds
Tomatovillian™

I didn't order myself but know some people who did and they were very satisfied.
DapsSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2019   #3
clara
Tomatovillian™

I know this site, but have never ordered anything.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2019   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Their seed account definitely isn't very high, which is understandable since they produce most seed in their own garden. The amount / price ratio isn't very favorable, but, on the other hand they don't try to make money with high shipping costs, so.. that speaks of honest ethical business.
Old March 19, 2019   #5
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I had a look, and am surprised at the prices. They used to be exorbitant, at 3.95, now they're almost normal.
Other shops that send to eu and are cheaper: tomaten-chillis (good place for eggplant), semillas.de (they send from spain, but site is in german, they mostly specialize in hot peppers however). Both are good.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2019   #6
clara
Tomatovillian™

Did you have a look at

https://deaflora.de

They have a nice collection, I think, and all kind of veggies. They offer plants as well as seeds.
Tomatoes start here, but sorry, in German:

https://deaflora.de/Shop/Tomaten/
Old March 20, 2019   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes clara, I do know about Deaflora... but I won't likely order tomatoes from them. Maybe live plants, but I have seen very mixed reviews about their service.

I have ordered other plants from Germany, that was last year when I found a special rare Russian strawberry variety at Manfred Hans. Very good service and very well packed, the starwberry plants were all strong and sturdy. (Mom of course thought me crazy when i ordered plants from another country - I reminded her that I have purchased plants from nearby nursery and they died fast!!)

It is not that i need any more tomato seeds, but Irina's site has popped up many times, and her collection (and background) looks interesting. That is why I was curious if anyone in Germany was familiar with them. I might be tempted to order that tomato bag - so cute!

Last edited by NarnianGarden; March 20, 2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old March 20, 2019   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Clara, that looks like a very nice website. Have you grown, or do you know anything about their tomato "Tomate Belle Coeur" ?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #9
clara
Tomatovillian™

That is an eye-catcher, isn't it? But no, I haven't grown it yet nor do I have seeds for it. Sorry, ddsack!

NarnianGarden, I've never ordered tomato plants from any seller, always seeds. I had the good luck that somebody had already ordered and grown tomatoes (seeds) from deaflora and gave me self-saved seeds the following year, Glossy Rose Blue and Aprikosenkirsche were among them. No problems and everything true to type.

Manfred Hahm-Hartmann has a HUGE collection of all kind of seeds, especially tomatoes and I've ordered from him several times. Always very good germination, very low prices and quick delivery. The only thing is that his site is not very friendly for users and probably rather difficult for those who don't speak German. BTW, he is the co-worker of Reinhard Kraft who is well-known in the US also.
Old March 22, 2019   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Clara, I am tempted when I see all MH:s strawberry varieties... The ones I purchased, arrived well packaged and they grew well, although last summer had a crazy heat wave. The real acid test is this season, when they are supposed to produce their first proper crop. We'll see!
Some are Russian and rare, and I do not have a clue how he was able to get them in his collection with all the trade embargoes in place - he had the specific variety I had looked for and I was told by Ukrainian and other Eastern European vendors I was in contact with that getting live things from Russia was very difficult now, especially when the variety was only available as a plant and not as seeds. Wohoo, Manfred!! <3 My gardening superhero!

I'm not so impressed about his tomatoes (not that I need any more varieties.. and his are quite expensive), but his other plants are a temptation.. (thankfully, there are legal restrictions when it comes to fruit trees: we in the North aren't supposed to purchase certain species from other EU countries South of Sweden due to some disease risk..)

Last edited by NarnianGarden; March 22, 2019 at 06:05 AM.