Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 11, 2013   #61
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

It's amazing how much abuse potted citrus can take and still keep going. I have a Meyer Lemon that I started from a slip from Gurney's about 30 years ago. It hasn't been repotted for many years, since reaching a size pot that I can still carry easily. One year while away from home for a couple of months, my son neglected to water it, and I thought it was dead, even after watering heavily and waiting a couple of weeks. I put the pot in the basement and forgot about it for some months until spring cleaning. Ready to toss the pot outside, I noticed a microscopic green shoot on a bare branch, and the lemon got a reprieve and is still going strong - still in the same old pot. I have an orange and a lime that I got with the same Gurney's three citrus offer, and they just keep going. I bought a Bonanza Peach last spring that grew well all summer, and overwintered it in our unheated garage. I can't wait to see if it survived the winter.

It's interesting to see the types of plants you are growing there.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2013   #62
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Dee,it was an interesting story on citrus plants.Thanks for posting it here.I have just one citrus, Meyer Lemon.It's infested by mealy bugs and yellow scale in the same time.Still alive and yielding!Felt guilty so I've just sprayed against pests and washed the leaves.I'll show more interest in it from now on.I wish to have more fruits this season!

Today I harvested my Red Robin in diatomite which has been grown under lights.14 ripe fruits totally weighed 109 gr.The heaviest one (lol) was 9 gr. mean app. 7,78 gr.Despite being grown under artificially lights using inorganic ferts, taste was over my expectations!I presumed it to be rather bland.Surprisingly those watery red gems had an old style tomatoey taste!They were definitely better than store bought tomato looking things! Can't wait to try outdoor grown Red Robins in summer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Robin 1.jpg (315.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Red Robin 2.jpg (282.0 KB, 18 views)
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #63
stlbeerman
Tomatovillian™

Default Earth box

I bought an Earth box at a yard sale last year. Are these good for tomatoes? I've never used one before. Thanks for any help.
stlbeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2013   #64
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Stlbeerman,
I wish I was at that yardsale !! I use earthboxes for all my vegetables. I have 40...and try not to add more each time I see a deal !
Yes, Yes they work well with tomatoes....Do you have the directions ?? The Earthbox Forum is the place to get info..
Here are the basics:
-be sure you have a good potting mix. On the Earthbox forum is a list of the recommended mixes,
-You need to add 2 cups of Dolomite to mix.
-Fertilizer--2 cups of 10-10-10 in a strip in a location that is furthest from the roots, covered with some of the mix.
-Wicking and covering the mix are key concepts you need to be aware of and understand to be successful with Earthboxes.

Please PM me if you need additional info...you are obviously interested in the method if you were savvy enough to snap up an earthbox at a yardsale !! Why am I not that lucky ??

Judi (Baileyj)
PS...are you located in St.Louis?? What zone??
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2013   #65
chilisauce
Tomatovillian™

Nice!! Would you tell us howyou use tomatoes in Turkish cooking?
chilisauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2013   #66
chilisauce
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levent View Post
Hi all,
I'm in zone 9a in Istanbul and have a small garden surrounding my detached house.Some patches dedicated to edibles here and there, plants under patios or on balconies.Hope you enjoy!
First photo:
Cucumber plantlets in subirrigation planter (soil culture)
Second photo :
Sweet Basil plants in subirrigation planter on a balcony (inorganic culture/medium used is diatomite)
Third photo:
Tomato patch 21 June 2012
Oops! I'm new at this forum thing. Levent- nice gardens! Would you tell us how you use tomatoes in Turkish cooking?
chilisauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2013   #67
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Hi chillisauce, we use tomatoes mainly in our traditional stews, spaghetti and salads.Burgers and fries seldom take place in our home cooking so the ketchup! We prefer bread, and rice as carbohydrate staple.I'm fond of sliced tomatoes with salt and virgin olive oil in breakfast.Needless to say they used to be from my garden. Mediterranean style living!
Old February 17, 2013   #68
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Levent I look forward to your posts. I find other cultures interesting.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2013   #69
Levent
Tomatovillian™

You know it's still winter time in northern hemisphere!
Very few worth posting

Last edited by Levent; February 17, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old March 3, 2013   #70
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Default Solanum quitoense 'Naranjilla'

My Solanum Quitoense 'Naranjilla' that I'd started from seed in spring 2012.I've grown it in diatomite by feeding with liquid ferts.I'm glad because new shoots and buds started to appear.In first photo which was taken in 20.07.2012 tiny seedling was in a plastic cup without holes.I've transplanted it twice and it's in an 8 lt subirrigation pot with side holes at the moment. Hope to taste fruits in summer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nar 0.jpg (205.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Nar 1.jpg (284.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Nar 2.jpg (812.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Nar 4.jpg (390.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Nar 3.jpg (176.9 KB, 17 views)
Old March 4, 2013   #71
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Is it Orange or does it taste like orange?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2013   #72
Levent
Tomatovillian™

If it's meant common Orange (Citrus X sinensis) no need to say Naranjilla is not a plant from family Rutaceae but Solanaceae a distant tomato relative.However both names ''Orange'' and ''Naranjilla'' derive from the same old Sanskrit word ''naranga'' Naranjilla=small orange in spanish.
I don't have any taste experience yet.Some cultivars are rather bland others sweet/sour reminding orange.We will see...
Old March 4, 2013   #73
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

ok thanks for the lesson.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2013   #74
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Docendo discitur
Old March 4, 2013   #75
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Default Physalis peruviana

I started this Physalis peruviana 'Cape Gooseberry' from a cutting taken from a plant in ground in summer 2012.After rooting in water I planted the cutting in a subirrigation pot containing diatomite and placed in my garage enlightened by day light.It readily grew up and flowered/set fruits during fall/winter.Fruits have started to ripe meaning husks dried and orange colour gems/fruits appeared!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cape 1.jpg (313.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Cape 3.jpg (419.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Cape 2.jpg (227.4 KB, 23 views)