Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old April 6, 2013   #16
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Antoniette the problem is you are growing them in the ground, my assumption. i used to grow them in 5 gallon pails with excellent results. the pails heat up, the ground is cool. i used to get so many i couldn't eat them all. i have 1/3 of the driveway paved and 2/3 is not. place the pails on the asphalt, water daily, put where they get full sun all day and i think you'll be surprised at the amount of fruits you'll get. and as an added bonus NO flea beetles unless you place the pails near the garden soil.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #17
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Mine are in raised beds but I add a few inches of compost at the beginning of each season.

I'll still have my White Beauty this year but I am trying Pingtung this time so I'm glad to read people get good results with that one. Pintung is my only new eggplant this year. I also have Louisiana Long Green, Rosita and Prosperosa.
Old April 6, 2013   #18
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Is it too late to sow seeds now? I did my peppers in February, and Tomatoes in March (okay, I snuck a few more tomatoes in last week ).

My driveway is mostly shade unfortunately. The dock on the lake is good sun most of the day. My garden area is mostly sun, but quite full already (on paper that is).
Old April 6, 2013   #19
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

The only ones I've had good production with is the long
asian types. I always buy a few black beauty's, but never
get any good eggplants from them..but I bought 3 of them
a couple days ago to try again. Maybe I'll get it right this
year.

The asian's I'm growing is Thai Long Green, and Machiaw F1.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #20
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

The oriental types are pretty early. I started my seeds about 1 week ago- I'm in Zone 5a/5b. Your season should be longer than mine so between that and the early maturity, I think you would might still have a good harvest window, just not as long as if you had started them earlier.

According to the source from which I bought Swallow, it is 51 days from transplant, Pingtung Long is 58 days from (compared to Rosa Bianca at 88 days from transplant).
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #21
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
LOL sounds like something I would do. IF I could fit 40 plants in!

I've heard Ping Tung Long is excellent. Probably too late to start seeds now though by the time i get them. Maybe I'll find a plant at the garden center.
Ping Tung Long is my favorite, too. Crazy productive. Always sweet and tender. Wonderful for grilled eggplants. They're heat lovers so it should be okay to start a little late. Put them in the hottest, sunniest place you can find. 5 gallon pot or Gro-bag is fine. I grow mine in full sun in AZ. Basically the only thing besides okra that I put in full sun for the summer. Oh, and long beans.

Last edited by Tracydr; April 6, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2013   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
Antoniette the problem is you are growing them in the ground, my assumption. i used to grow them in 5 gallon pails with excellent results. the pails heat up, the ground is cool. i used to get so many i couldn't eat them all. i have 1/3 of the driveway paved and 2/3 is not. place the pails on the asphalt, water daily, put where they get full sun all day and i think you'll be surprised at the amount of fruits you'll get. and as an added bonus NO flea beetles unless you place the pails near the garden soil.

tom

That sounds like a really good idea. Hot weather cooks my container tomatoes, but maybe I can still grow container eggplant.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #23
peebee
Tomatovillian™

One trick you can try, when your plant stops producing, is to prune it in half (yes, I know it sounds drastic) and any side suckers, and be SURE to fertilize well as soon as you do it, by either making 4 holes around the perimeter of the pot, then dropping in your dry fert, covering, and watering in, or you can use your liquid. I used to have poor production in-ground, then swtiched to pots, and saw better results, but then my plants would stall mid-season. So after I learned of this pruning method which is quite common in Japan, I tried it and now I do this every time. It is important to fertilize at this point, remember.

As for flea beetles...in my area, they are everywhere. Yes, I tried putting pots away from my garden, on concrete, on tables, you name it, thinking I could fool them. They found every little plant, no matter where they were. I've become quite the expert in crushing them by hand, but its a daily battle.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #24
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

Ordered some Ping Tung Long Seeds about 3 years ago didn't try planting them till this year indoors and couldn't get them to germinate.
Have always had productive plants when buying Ichiban plants from Walmart.
Except in extreme heat.
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #25
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Is it too late to sow seeds now? I did my peppers in February, and Tomatoes in March (okay, I snuck a few more tomatoes in last week ).

My driveway is mostly shade unfortunately. The dock on the lake is good sun most of the day. My garden area is mostly sun, but quite full already (on paper that is).
too late to start eggplant from seed? i think so. i never grew it from seed but iirc it's like peppers - you have to start them a month or more before tomatoes. i always bought plants and you can do that in another month.

so put 5 gal pails in a full sun spot, it shouldn't be near or especially in the garden to avoid flea beetles. the asphalt would kick up the heat but on the dock or ground is ok. the air around the pails will be hot, the ground 5" down is cool even in august.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2013   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I had two of my eggplants in the most unlikely spots. One accidentally grew next to an air conditioner with hardly any room, maybe about 3 inches between the AC and the sidewalk. Poor plant. It was there for 4 years before freezing this winter! The other was next to the dryer vent getting huge amounts of hot air, even in the summer, here in AZ!
Both plants grew to be small trees and I was very sad to lose them in our freezing weather this winter. It took a really hard week of freezes to lose them, too, since they were so close to the house and I've always protected them from freezes.
My other plants were in more conventional spots but production was similar. Actually, the older plants produced more, probably because they had tree trunks? I would prune them hard to keep them about 4 feet in height two or three times a year.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #27
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Shellybean, how long does it take your Louisiana Long Green eggplant to start setting fruit?
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #28
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Around 75 days. In some catalogs I see they list 100 days at the DTM but I have never had them that late. I have a lot of heat and humidity 24/7 here in the summer though and they like that. The LLG are no later than any other variety for me. The earliest eggplant I've grown is Early Black Egg.
Old April 11, 2013   #29
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Black beauty did well. I am doing Florida high bush this year too. They seem to love the heat.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #30
whistech
Tomatovillian™

Michele, thank you for your response. I have some seed started and I know it's late, but this is my first year gardening and I'm trying to grow the Louisiana Long Green eggplant because I thought it should do good here since it's a Louisiana variety that is not supposed to be bitter. I have never been a big fan of eggplant because they always tasted bitter to me. We also have hot weather and extremely high humidity here, so I think I should be ok. Again, thank you for sharing the information with me.
whistech is offline   Reply With Quote