Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 30, 2012   #31
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Should you have anything else needing to be grown out and the seeds saved, please let me know. I am a member of SSE and would offer them through that organization to further distribute them.

I have grown a couple of Turkish vegetables in the past/[resent and been very happy with them.
Pepper - Corbaci(Sari Sivri), & Pasa Tohumculuk(Biber kil aci) which I received from a friend of mine's father from Izmir and are very good salad peppers.
Squash - Adapazari, which is from a friend in Istanbul, and is a great squash for pies and very pretty.

Let me know, if you need any help

thanks,
Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #32
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRIowa View Post
Should you have anything else needing to be grown out and the seeds saved, please let me know. I am a member of SSE and would offer them through that organization to further distribute them.

I have grown a couple of Turkish vegetables in the past/[resent and been very happy with them.
Pepper - Corbaci(Sari Sivri), & Pasa Tohumculuk(Biber kil aci) which I received from a friend of mine's father from Izmir and are very good salad peppers.
Squash - Adapazari, which is from a friend in Istanbul, and is a great squash for pies and very pretty.

Let me know, if you need any help

thanks,
Dean
Hi Dean, thanks much for your generous offer. I am adding your name to my project volunteer list. Corbaci and Aci Kil peppers are really productive plants with delicious fruits on them. Currently, I have seeds for both of these varieties but additional seeds would be very helpful to improve the seed circulation. I am also very much interested in the Adapazari squash since I haven't grown it before.

Additionally, I have finally started a project forum site at www.anatohum.com. You can register if you are interested. I will also keep posting on Tomatoville about project progress.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #33
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I will help you with this.

Now I find that I have two more children of different Turkish families in my classroom next year.

I have a teaching license to teach English for English Language Learners so I usually get children in my class from many different countries who are just learning English, since I am licensed to teach that.

I am hoping to speak to these families about the heirloom project. I don't know what region they are from yet.

I will help grow something. I will put it in isolation. I am wondering if I can involve some of the Turkish families in this effort. Let me know.

Now that I am getting to know you I know the level of detail you like with pictures and weights.

I do plan on asking them if they have brought any seeds or if they can get us some seeds.

Jennifer
Jennifer, Turkish Ayla seedlings are happily growing. Interestingly, this is the only potato leaf variety of all Turkish tomatoes I currently have. It was potato leaf for you, too, right?
Old September 1, 2012   #34
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

So far three people have volunteered to grow Kirkagac 637 melon. I have enough seeds to send to 20 people so please let me know if you would like to contribute to the ANATOHUM project by growing this melon.
Old September 1, 2012   #35
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I'll grow it!
Old September 1, 2012   #36
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Melons don't do so well for me... I'm afraid to try this one.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #37
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Melons don't do so well for me... I'm afraid to try this one.
No worries, Jennifer. I can still send you some along with pepper and hopefully tomato seeds.
Old September 5, 2012   #38
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Update for new varieties

New varieties have become available through the ANATOHUM project. You can sign up for growing these varieties at the following links:

http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=5

http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=8.

Please also have a look at http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=27 if you are willing to grow a variety.
Old September 6, 2012   #39
bwaynef
Tomatovillian™

Do you have any varieties from **JUST** north of Anatolia, that is, Crimea or Ukraine? That may be (is likely) out of the scope of your project.
bwaynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #40
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Hey Chancethegardener, I've grown Dolma Kabak summer squash and LOVE it. Unfortunately, we've had severe drought, heat and squash bugs, for three years. My freshest seed, presently, is from 2007. Next year I intend to reproduce the seed, big time, through hand pollination (as always). I'll be happy to share with you and your new forum.

I've been quite taken by some of the things I've observed of Turkish culture. Certain vegetables show, shall I say, great culture? My family and I have two Anatolian Shepherds. I have nicknamed them "my barbarians." They're huge. Actually one is huge and the other is only huge for being a 3 month old puppy. But the adult, along with our Great Pyrenees have protected our poultry, sheep and goats beautifully. For our homestead, these dogs are a Godsend.

Attached is a picture from a few years ago, when the Anatolian (on left) was a still a puppy.

I have to say, that with the passing of time, I'm becoming more interested in Turkish culture, just observing the great things which come out of that country.

George
Tahlequah, OK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bravo_Guardi1_29_10.jpg (48.0 KB, 44 views)
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #41
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi macmex,

Your dogs look beautiful. Anatolian shepherd along with Sivas Kangal are two very unique breeds. I can imagine how protective they are.

Thanks much for your contribution to the ANATOHUM project. I am currently growing dolmalik kabak but your variety might be different and in any case we can send seeds to more people if you help. Could you please PM me your contact information, email address, and varieties you are interested in growing so that I can add your name to my volunteer growers list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmex View Post
Hey Chancethegardener, I've grown Dolma Kabak summer squash and LOVE it. Unfortunately, we've had severe drought, heat and squash bugs, for three years. My freshest seed, presently, is from 2007. Next year I intend to reproduce the seed, big time, through hand pollination (as always). I'll be happy to share with you and your new forum.

I've been quite taken by some of the things I've observed of Turkish culture. Certain vegetables show, shall I say, great culture? My family and I have two Anatolian Shepherds. I have nicknamed them "my barbarians." They're huge. Actually one is huge and the other is only huge for being a 3 month old puppy. But the adult, along with our Great Pyrenees have protected our poultry, sheep and goats beautifully. For our homestead, these dogs are a Godsend.

Attached is a picture from a few years ago, when the Anatolian (on left) was a still a puppy.

I have to say, that with the passing of time, I'm becoming more interested in Turkish culture, just observing the great things which come out of that country.

George
Tahlequah, OK
Old October 17, 2012   #42
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmex View Post
Unfortunately, we've had severe drought, heat and squash bugs, for three years..

George
Tahlequah, OK
That's the understatement of the year. I would love to try those melons but honestly have gotten a grand total of 3 melons in 3 years, and none this year.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2012   #43
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

I would like to try also I have 6 12 acres to work with and looking at another 6 1/2 to buy
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2012   #44
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is a brief update regarding the project progress: http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=56

I hope I can harvest some tomatoes before it gets too cold for the plants .
Old October 18, 2012   #45
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I will mail the first batch of seeds to 11 volunteers who previously expressed their interests in the ANATOHUM project and sent me their contact information. Volunteers will receive the seeds for some or all of the following varieties based on their preferences:

- Kandil Bell Pepper
- Corbaci Pepper
- Mehmet's Sweet Turkish Pepper
- Kirkagac Melon (Strain 637)

Hopefully, I will be also able to harvest some tomato seeds for 2013 grow-outs, before it gets too cold for fruit setting.