Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2016   #1
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

Default suggestion for mid-summer/fall tomato varieties

I have always loved tomatoes, but I am just getting into growing and heirloom tomatoes. I have a "patio" (hybrid) and a "Creole" cultivar that have about 10 small green tomatoes. I have 3 - Burpee "Brandywine Pink" (I am assuming not Sudduth strain) and 3- "Mortgage Lifter" that are putting on their 2nd pair of leaves that I will pot up in a few weeks.

I am looking to start a couple of late heirlooms about mid-June to carry into the fall, but I want something a bit different than the ones mentioned above. I am intrigued by the Berkeley Tie-Dye tomatoes.

Anyone have any suggestions for a couple of tomatoes that I might try? I am in Mississippi, so it will be hot as blazes by mid-June and humid. I set-up a drip irrigation system for my 'maters and other veggies today, so I assume it will get a healthy work-out this summer.
WilburMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Many of the so called black tomatoes fare rather well during the hot months of mid and late summer especially if they are heavily mulched and kept watered, fertilized and sprayed with fungicide. I always set out some plants in June or July or both for my late summer and fall crop. Below are some of my favorites for that time of the year.

Indian Stripe reg or pl
Spudakee
JD's Special C Tex
Carbon
Berkely Tie Dye Pink
Pruden's Purple
Arkansas Traveler
Virginia Sweet
Limbaugh's Legacy
Zogola

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2016   #3
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Wilbur, in addition to Bill's suggestions, I will also recommend Stump of the World.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote