Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old January 11, 2013   #16
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Have you tried lacto fermenting? Sort of like saurkraut?
I also love them in stews mixed with carrots, onions beef celery and all the other goodies.
Pasties?
Mashed with butter, salt and and pepper?
Tracy,

I've read about lacto fermentation but haven't tried it. I've always wanted to mess around with pickling, curing, and fermenting products, but I've never found the time to do it. I always keep my eyes open for some of the old style clay pots or earthenware with lids in larger sizes to give it a try. I don't like the more recent products because I am afraid of lead in the glaze. Pickling and fermenting can release the lead from the glaze into the food.

Ted
Old January 11, 2013   #17
chastom
Tomatovillian™

i like to put carrots,potato,turnip ,onions in a little chicken broth and bake 45 min.
add butter or greek yogurt......yum
chastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Tracy,

I've read about lacto fermentation but haven't tried it. I've always wanted to mess around with pickling, curing, and fermenting products, but I've never found the time to do it. I always keep my eyes open for some of the old style clay pots or earthenware with lids in larger sizes to give it a try. I don't like the more recent products because I am afraid of lead in the glaze. Pickling and fermenting can release the lead from the glaze into the food.

Ted
Ted we are too old to worry about lead.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013   #19
salix
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I do quite a bit of fermenting in large glass jars - ie. quart jars for sauerkraut or larger 2 quart jars for whatever. Make sure you keep them on a rimmed cookie sheet or something to catch any 'overflows'...
Old January 11, 2013   #20
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Ted we are too old to worry about lead.

Worth
Yep, but I am concerned enough to burn only unleaded gasoline, (as if I had a choice). I am also smart enough to know I can't out run a speeding bullet so I try to avoid those as well.

Ted
Old January 11, 2013   #21
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Ted,
Turnip Hash Browns - disguises the strong taste.
1/2 and 1/2 with potatoes too works well.

Add one onion to every 3 to 4 turnips or potatoes.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013   #22
DanielA
Tomatovillian™

Carrots and turnips 50 : 50 mashed with butter , salt and pepper to taste , add warmed milk if you like it richer. This is a taste of English home cooking, and you can cook both in the same pan if you cut them to the same size pieces.
DanielA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Try smoking a really big cigar while eating and cooking turnips, it will help kill the smell and taste.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013   #24
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tracy,

Ted
I just use glass jars. Quarts for small batches and gallons for big ones. Key is to keep the air out with liquid or a plastic bag filled with brine. You can also use a plate, a rock, anything that weighs the veggies down under the liquid.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013   #25
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Any winter veg is good roasted in a hot oven (425). The roasting process caramelizes the sugars and sweetens the flavors. This applies to any root vegetable (carrot, rutabaga, potato, etc...) I recommend cutting them in small, french fry sized pieces, add a little EVOO, add a lot of course sea salt or kosher salt, add fresh ground pepper to taste. Roast on a sheet pan until the turnips soften and are caramelized on the sides turning occasionally so they don't burn.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013   #26
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Any winter veg is good roasted in a hot oven (425). The roasting process caramelizes the sugars and sweetens the flavors. This applies to any root vegetable (carrot, rutabaga, potato, etc...) I recommend cutting them in small, french fry sized pieces, add a little EVOO, add a lot of course sea salt or kosher salt, add fresh ground pepper to taste. Roast on a sheet pan until the turnips soften and are caramelized on the sides turning occasionally so they don't burn.
And that is exactly what I did. I tried two different sheet pans of them with different seasonings. While I can't say I really liked them, I also can't say they tasted as bad as when they were cooked with other methods. I will admit they were much sweeter baked on sheet pans. The deciding factor was as usual,
my wife. She still couldn't stand the taste. Everything we cook is cooked for two. If only one of the two doesn't like something, it doesn't really make any sense to cook it again. It isn't as much fun trying things alone. I think I will place turnips in the "don't try again" category and move on to something else. Thanks!

Ted

Last edited by tedln; January 13, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old January 13, 2013   #27
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And that is exactly what I did. I tried two different sheet pans of them with different seasonings. While I can't say I really liked them, I also can't say they tasted as bad as when they were cooked with other methods. I will admit they were much sweeter baked on sheet pans. The deciding factor was as always, my wife. She still couldn't stand the taste. Everything we cook is cooked for two. If only one of the two doesn't like something, it doesn't really make any sense to cook it again. It isn't as much fun trying things alone. I think I will place turnips in the "don't try again" category and move on to something else. Thanks!

Ted
Maybe grind them up fresh and add other ingredients to make a milder form of "horseradish" sauce?

Personally as I stated before, I love turnips. I prefer them raw in sauces, relishes, slaws, fruit smoothies and salads, but also like them cooked in soups.

So I am not sure what to say to someone who doesn't like them. I guess grind them up and feed them to the chickens.Feed them whole to the pigs? Or put them in the compost pile? Donate them to the food bank charity?

But ultimately if you don't like them raw or cooked in any recipe at all, and don't have chickens or pigs to feed, then I guess the solution is just grow something else you do like that also benefits the garden.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greens , japanese , rutabaga , turnip