Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2018   #1
Don S
Tomatovillian™

Default Is Tigerella Very Early or Mid-Late?

★★★★★Many sellers of Tigerella (the small tart bicolor tomato) say they are very early (55-60 days) and just as many say they are Mid-Late season (75-80 days). Grower reports usually do not say much about the ripening time. I am looking for a very early tomato to have something to munch on before my early or main season varieties kick in. Should I try Tigerella?
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I'd suggest Punta Banda. You won't spit it out.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I would say mid season, maybe mid-early, certainly not very early.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
★★★★★Many sellers of Tigerella (the small tart bicolor tomato) say they are very early (55-60 days) and just as many say they are Mid-Late season (75-80 days). Grower reports usually do not say much about the ripening time. I am looking for a very early tomato to have something to munch on before my early or main season varieties kick in. Should I try Tigerella?
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ella+craigella

Please read post #13.

I will never grow the original Tigerella again.

Carolyn, and be sure to read the links within the link above, I don't know if they work,I didn't try them, several are from Tania and now that she's waiting to have new servers installed at the new place.???
Old June 18, 2018   #5
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I grew it once, but will not again. I found it was later than it should be for the fruit size.

Planted out: Jun 01, 2014
First blush date: Aug 20, 2014.
DTM = 80 days.

That summer I had far bigger tomatoes like Park's Whopper F1, Steak Sandwich F1 and Cosmonaut Volkov with the same first blush date.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #6
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Since you're in a similar climate to mine, I'd suggest Stupice, New Yorker, Glacier, or Silvery Fir Tree as tastier alternatives. Or you could do what I did this year -- start some micro-dwarfs at the end of February, pot them up in April, manually pollinate the blossoms, harden the seedling off with the rest of your plants in May, and get a few ripe tomatoes before June 15. My gardening friends are green with envy this week!
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #7
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I bought 4 plants from winterberry gardens in southington ct. to try.I know they are big /late season and wanted to see how they compare.
For early tomatoes I go with the 4th of july hybrids from running brook farms in killingworth ct.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Since you're in a similar climate to mine, I'd suggest Stupice, New Yorker, Glacier, or Silvery Fir Tree as tastier alternatives. Or you could do what I did this year -- start some micro-dwarfs at the end of February, pot them up in April, manually pollinate the blossoms, harden the seedling off with the rest of your plants in May, and get a few ripe tomatoes before June 15. My gardening friends are green with envy this week!
Same here.
I started a 1010 tray mid January, another mid Feb and another late Feb.
January tray was a germination test but I held onto a few strong ones. Micros and even dwarf varieties
are stocky slow growers started early The head start has given me fruit starting last week. Once
outside in early Spring heat and sun they took off.
Terenzo has been the first and Lizzano should ripen up next week if not sooner. My micros are not far
behind with lots of early fruit. I plan to add Maskotka to the list for next year earlies.

I gave Stupice and Glacier a few trial years but never was that early for me and not good early flavor.
I would rather wait for great taste and not waste the garden real estate.

Micros, container varieties, and dwarfs, can handle 1 and 2 gallon grow bags. Easy to move around for
good early Spring sun, or brought inside quickly if a late frost threatens...

Years past I would not see fruit until mid July. And never minded waiting. Fruit now, with not much
effort, has been a welcomed surprise.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early season