Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2016   #16
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPeppa View Post
Here we go again...
This made me laugh out loud.

P.S. I like both schools.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I chuckled as well...
I get both schools and do what i do.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #18
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

Well, it appears I have opened a can of worms! Lol! I appreciate all the responses. Before planting I added alpaca manure, crushed crab shell, peletized lime, and an organic slow release fertilizer. I will give a few of these a try, as well as some MG and see what does best.
gvillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #19
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

If you are willing to try chemical fertilizerss, I would suggest looking into the Masterblend (morgan county seeds) with some Calcium Nitrate. If you search for AKMark posts you'll see the results of that combo.
Old April 27, 2016   #20
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to try the wood ashes,have an unlimited supply of them. I forgot to mention that I use a lot of manures in the garden,mixed with bedding. Wood shavings and old hay with goat,chicken and horse manures. ( aged,of course). I also have a worm container,am starting to make worm compost tea.
Leaves,lots of leaves.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #21
oakley
Tomatovillian™

No can of worms here that i have witnessed gvillemom .
Opinions, yes, but not 'jerky' as we call it other places. Some seem to react strongly to 'organic' products and their claims.
Organic practices in your personal garden is different. Building healthy soil without needing to purchase 'products' that claim to give you that healthy soil at great expense without education on your own to build it yourself. A balanced healthy soil is not purchased.
Old April 27, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Keep in mind and I dont know why myself that there are a lot of products that dont have the OMRI stamp/seal on them but they are called/listed as organic.
Can someone tell me why Plant Tone and other tones dont have the OMRI seal on it.
Do you have to join a club or what?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #23
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Keep in mind and I dont know why myself that there are a lot of products that dont have the OMRI stamp/seal on them but they are called/listed as organic.
Can someone tell me why Plant Tone and other tones dont have the OMRI seal on it.
Do you have to join a club or what?
Worth
Exactly.
You have to pay Omri to review your stuff and get the nod.
And guess if each tone has to be payed for and reviewed separately even though most have the same exact ingredients, just different ratios?
Espoma is smart though. why pay when you can say "for organic gardening" on the label. You now have that audience to sell to. Might lose .0000001% of potential sales for the robot that needs the comfort of the magic seal, but who cares?

Last edited by PureHarvest; April 27, 2016 at 10:17 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It can also take years, from what I understand. So the very newest products will not be certified.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #25
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Word, Worth. We just want heathy plants and soil. I did the five years stoic hang-in-there-my-soil-is-on-the right-track-to-be-non-ammenended-kook-zen...let-it-live-and-learn....
Best thing i ever did. Nice and zen, birds and bees an snakes and happy balance.

It needs a bit of kick-in-the-pants now. So i give it some help. A bit of juice. Not that i failed with me own stuff but i saw a bit of decline....

If i needed to survive as a family on my harvest without a supplemented grocery...ahem...i could do it having the experience and knowledge i have now.
Old April 27, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This sounds like the same scam like thing they have with the NFPA National Fire Protection Association.
Not to say it is bad but they are always changing the codes, mind you these codes aren't law and are adopted by municipalities.
But these code changes cost a ton of money for the consumer and owners of property.
Guess who is on the board, people that make money off the codes and products.
One of the latest ones is tamper/child proof wall outlets.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #27
bower
Tomatovillian™

If the fertilizer company wants their product certified organic they have to pay to have it certified same as farmers pay to get certification, do a bunch of paperwork for it, and get inspected.

Lots of uncertified products are listed as okay for use by organic certified farmers. I recently read up on some of this listing because my friend has got her farm certified, so I wanted to make sure any seedlings she got from me are up to the code.
So for example, I found out that any brand of bone meal sold in Canada meets the organic standards, as they are the same as general standards for the product in Canada. But blood meal is a different story, they say it's 'unclear' whether the product is sterilized during the process. So you can't use blood meal for organic certified farming unless you went to the trouble of confirming that the producer actually did sterilize the product.
For the local compost we use, she had to get them to sign a statement of the materials that were used to make it.
And so on, this is part of the 'paperwork' and the real costs of getting certified organic... extra work!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #28
beasl004
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillemom View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for an organic version for Miracle Grow? This will be my second year trying to go organic in my garden. Last year I had a hard time keeping my plants fed correctly. Thanks for your help!
Miracle Grow does have an organic version called "Organic Choice" Its a 7-1-2 mix.
beasl004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #29
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

Beasl004 thank you!! I have never seen that. Is it something I could buy at Lowes?
gvillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #30
beasl004
Tomatovillian™

I think Home Depot had it but my wife bought it at Walmart. I haven't seen the granule version lately but have seen the liquid.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160428_115736.jpg (196.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20160428_115805.jpg (207.9 KB, 57 views)
beasl004 is offline   Reply With Quote