Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 8, 2016   #1
Curly
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato stems brown

Sorry about pic orientation

These are some I over wintered for seed, I see the same results the last 3 years on all my starts/seedlings, typically loose 1/4 of seedlings. It looks they are damping off when just seedlings but remaining plants might be slow but they finish the seasons well.

In pic you can see where stem narrows.

I have tried several growing mediums, these plants are grown in prelate, bottom watered.

Anything to be worried about? Any ideas?
Old February 9, 2016   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm not seeing any pics. Sorry but it sounds like you are describing damping off. I use a fine DE called UltraSorb that is available at Auto Zone. I also bottom water but once the DE is moist all the way to the surface I remove the seedling container from the water. If you leave them in water too long it encourages damping off. Hope this helps,

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yep, damping off is your issue. Normally from the soil being to wet for to long. http://cropipm.creativedonkeys.com/e...mping-off.html

Sometimes replanting deeply (above scarring) in fresh sterile potting mix will remedy the issue. Or as Bill stated use diatomaceous earth.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #4
Curly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies.

These plants are 6' tall under lights, with several 4-10oz maters. I grew them in a 2' diameter corkscrew rather then straight up. I am finished with them for this winter. Starting peppers and flowers soon, tomatoes in a month

I read a lot on damping off, I never have seedlings topple over with the classic signs of damping off but rather I see this hardening of the bottom stem after Transplant and always well above the soil line. The seedlings I loose just peter out after a few weeks.

I agree over watering is an issue, when growing so many varieties of tomatoes. Each having different water intakes. Maybe I will play around and try to get my act together before I start tomatoes in numbers
Old February 10, 2016   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I get darkening and thinning of the stems from fusarium wilt and/or verticillium wilt. Do your leaves wilt as well as having this discoloration of the stems?

Whatever it is, Yes I would be worried.
Old February 11, 2016   #6
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

I've had outbreaks of botrytis, grey mold, on seedlings in the greenhouse that after treatment leave the stems looking like those in your picture.

Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Another thing that turns stems brown and likes to invade in indoor areas as well as outside is Tomato Russet Mites. The plants often put on new growth from the bottom that goes on to produce. If it is TRM, A spray with 1Tablespoon Neem and 1 Tablespoon dish soap to 1 gallon water will do the trick. must be done 3 times with 4 days in between to get hatching eggs, , and a thorough under, and over leaf and stem cover down to the soil line.
Telltale is a bronzed stem with a powder feel. the mites are 2/10 of a millimeter, so you cant see them unless you have a 15 power lens or so.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote