Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 4, 2007   #1
sherribaby
Tomatovillian™

Default Lack of nutrients or something else? Leaf pics

Hi everyone! This is my first post and my first year starting from seed. I have 70 tomato plants growing under shop lights indoors. They were started about 4-5 weeks ago (without getting off my butt to go check my garden journal this is pretty close). I have been having a lot of problems lately and I don't know why. I tried the tomato problem solver but couldn't ID anything. I have 3 different pics of different symptoms on 3 different Brandywine plants. The first one is the outer edges of the leaves turning a brown/grey and very thin. It is actually occuring on several of my Brandywines since I took this pic 2 days ago.

The next one is worst on this particular plant but seems to be spreading to others. The leaves are yellowing and seem to stem from a "line" of yellow circles, if that makes any sense at all.

The last problem, which only presented itself on 2 leaves of the 70 plants is bullet marks.

I do have a 4th issue which I didn't photograph yet but I have one tray of Big Mamas and all of them are showing signs of leaf roll (curl?). The edges roll up and the tips of the leaves point downward. It looks similar to a photo I saw in one of the links here of a copper deficiency.

All of these guys are in MG seed starting mix. They were started in a 72 cell flat and potted up to the styrofoam cups last week. They have been fertilized once with half strength fish emulsion. The problem is mostly in the Brandywines. I may have one other clue for you - I think I have spider mites. I noticed silky strings, for lack of a better word, hanging from my eggplant and some of my peppers. I haven't seen any on the tomatoes but you never know. I can't find any info on what kind of damage they do. I called my local extension but the lone master gardener is only there a couple hours per week and I didn't want to wait till next week!

TIA for any and all help!!!!
Sherri
sherribaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007   #2
johno
Tomatovillian™

Honestly, I'm not sure what causes those symptoms in the pictures, but my seedlings were showing them this year, too. They disappeared once I relinquished control and left them to mother nature. Maybe sunshine and natural conditions are all yours need, too. Maybe a shot of phosphorus wouldn't hurt?
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007   #3
sherribaby
Tomatovillian™

I did feed them with epsom salt and a water soluble but don't notice a difference. Yet. I guess nobody else has any ideas. I can do nothing but just wait and see what happens, I suppose.
sherribaby is offline   Reply With Quote