Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 16, 2014   #31
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's that scape time of year again, here.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2014   #32
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It's that scape time of year again, here.

Yes, I hear it is. We're on a two week road trip, but I threatened my son with no scape pesto this year if he didn't pick the scapes as needed while we were gone!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2014   #33
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure if mine will produce scapes this year or not. Pretty sure we are well behind you even in a normal year though... the usual harvest time for garlic here is in August.

I am really happy that the extreme cold temperatures this winter didn't seem to bother the garlic at all. Not only the plants from my 'rounds' are doing fine, but also two rows of garlic that were chowed down by rabbits last year and presumed dead have also come back and looking pretty good in the circumstances.

I've been told that garlic like to be fertilized once during the growing season, may I ask, is that best applied before the scape time or after?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2014   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'd guess before.

In my garden, scapes are cut about one month before the bulbs are harvested. I fertilize in the fall at the time of planting, which is about October 1st (plus or minus about a week), here. Next year, I may cut scapes both earlier and later to see if that effects bulb size.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2014   #35
salix
Tomatovillian™

Scapes just starting to form up here. This year I plan to leave some on until quite late. I expect to get smaller bulbs/cloves, but that they will store better.
Old June 22, 2014   #36
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

So we just got back from our motorcycle trip this evening. After unloading my bike the first thing I did was walk out to the garden, still in my riding pants and boots, and start picking scapes (while trying to ignore the out of control jungle my tomato plants have become). I filled three gallon size zip locks to add to the two bags my son picked at the start of last week. Time to go shopping for olive oil and Parmesan cheese--it time to make the pesto!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote