Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 16, 2009   #256
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Craig,
I will be harvesting seeds from the peppers pretty soon. Do you want me to separate them out, such as Pepper 1a,1b,1c along with growth habits, foliage color, fruit color, etc? Or would you prefer me to send back seeds of pepper 1 all mixed in together?
Old August 21, 2009   #257
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

A few pictures.

# 5, # 10, # 38
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0075.jpg (202.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0072.jpg (161.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0071.jpg (305.4 KB, 38 views)
Old September 13, 2009   #258
rutabagaboy
Tomatovillian™

With Craig's concurrence and blessing, I'm offering to anyone who would like them, samples of seeds from my grow-out of his Hot Pepper Plants #1, #14 and #38 as shown in my posts 243 and 253 on this thread. PM me for details.
rutabagaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2009   #259
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I know I have been pretty silent on here. Sorry about that. I will upload pics sometime this weekend. I had a flavor taste test of plant 7 and plant 22 with 4 different people. I had a Cayenne pepper for comparison. All stated the plant 7 and plant 22 were hotter than the cayenne. everyone thought that 7 was the hottest with it starting hot and ending hot. Plant 22 at first was not as hot then it snuck up on you and was very hot. It turned one guys face red that just popped the whole thing in his mouth being all tough! . Everyone thought the peppers had a more bitter and also described as a vineger type flavor compred to the cayenne pepper. Of course growing conditions were not ideal and all locations differ in taste.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2009   #260
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

My peppers have finally started turning red in the past week! I'll harvest the red ones as they appear, since we've started having cooler nights in the 40s. I'm planning to dry them to use as a condiment.

I planted 8-10 seeds of each outdoors on March 13 under bubble wrap ("wintersowing"), lost some to snails, and ended up with 4 of Pepper 9, 4 of Pepper 22, and 2 of Pepper 29 in 1-gallon pots. I've been experimenting with half coir and half homemade compost in some containers.

Most of the Pepper 9 plants have dark purple-black leaves. Two of them have only 2-3 fruits each. The biggest plant has at least 50 fruits, which were also dark purple-black until a couple weeks or so ago, then started turning green and are now turning red, one by one. The plant with green leaves has 10-15 fruits, which are shorter and stockier than the fruits on the other plants. I picked one fruit each from the two latter plants -- my first ripe ones this year!

Three of the Pepper 22 plants have green leaves with very pale green, almost white, thin fruits (2-3, 7, and 10-15 fruits each). The fourth one, also with green leaves, has more than 35 fruits, which were dark purple and have been changing to dark green and now, one by one, to red.

One Pepper 29 has green leaves and purple-black stems, but no fruits. The other one had green leaves and only a couple small roundish fruits that are changing from purple-black to green.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; October 5, 2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: looked at them again and found one P9 with green leaves, and picked 2 fruits
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2009   #261
Bitwise Gamgee
Tomatovillian™

I received seeds for pepper 13a and 22. I ended up growing out only one single 13a. The others were lost to damp-off back in the spring.

The 13a turned out to be a lovely purple-leaf compact plant of about 10 inches. The flowers were purple and produced 1.5 inch purple peppers changing to orange and finally to red. Attached is a picture taken late in the season.

Sorry for the late report.

-Bitwise

pepper13A.jpg
Bitwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2010   #262
svalli
Tomatovillian™

My indoor grown #6 has started to bloom again and there is one pod growing on it.

The flowers are multicolored with some totally white and some white with purple edges and some a bit more purple.

I overwintered also an other #6 and two #5 plants, which grew outside last summer. I'm not sure if the #5s will survive, because they suddenly dropped all new leaves.
Old March 19, 2011   #263
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

For the first time I can remember, I had volunteer pepper seeds -- from Craig's 2009 #1 selection. The seeds overwintered in the garden soil under snow and ice, and sprouted during the summer of 2010. They emerged later in the summer in many tight clumps, obviously from whole dried pods that had dropped the year before.

I meant to separate and move some of them, but never got around to it, so they stayed small and stunted. Last fall during clean up, I took pity on a few and dug them up to over winter. Only three survived severe root pruning in order to separate them from their fellows. They were at a standstill in growth all winter, but are now starting to perk up a bit. It will be interesting to see what fruit type and color they end up with. I thought they were more purple leafed when I dug them up, but now they seem to be green.

They are still ridiculously small for peppers that now are about 9 months old, but it will be interesting to see if they can have a growth spurt when they get outdoors this summer.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote