Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 24, 2014   #31
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I need to quit looking at the internet...that's how you get sucked in..."
Rare" - "New" - "Hard to Find" (and usually, they are not rare, new or hard to find but you just might get lucky so you HAVE TO look.) You know it's bad when you are looking at sights that are not in English and trying to calculate the ratio of a dollar to a Rand (good) a Euro (the pits) Dong (GREAT) and on and on. I have to go between descriptions on a foreign website and Google translate to figure out exactly what it is and then go back to Google to convert cm to inches for size...I am really pitiful...
Old March 25, 2014   #32
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm certainly interested in your peppers. I have been having fun researching the uses and such. Amazing how many traditions evolve around certain peppers.
I picked up some Boonie peppers from Guam. The wild type. I guess even the KFC in Guam has Finadeni!
I have also been interested in peppers that are more like trees Such as the Habanero Orange tree pepper, related are the Red tree and the mystery pepper called blue mystery.
These peppers grow to 6 feet tall and can live for years and years.
I'm interested in Hungarian peppers too, and picked up a few I have no idea what they are? I'll post a photo of the packages to figure it out in another thread.
I picked this one up too, but will not grow until next year
Pointy Kaibi #1 (organic) - A Bulgarian family heirloom from Mitko
Antonov, this pepper is medium-sized, wide at the top and, as the name
says, pointed at the blossom end. One of the best of the 2013 garden.
Rivals Donkey Ears for good taste, but it does taste different than
Donkey Ears.

Last edited by drew51; March 25, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #33
bower
Tomatovillian™

Such a great list, Mary, I can't wait to hear your take on the side by side comparison of similar (or same category) ones. Exciting to hear they're already in flower!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #34
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I have a bunch of different Russian varieties I got too late to plant. I personally, don't grow too many sweets. My new "obsession" seems to be finding as many cayenne-cayenne type varieties as I can...I love how they grow. Beautiful plants, always set a huge crop of peppers. always ripened well, even in Wyoming. Curly dudes that are just interesting. And for those who don't like the heat, there is a sweet cayenne, and Turkish Corbaci (which is a pepper producing machine of a plant)

I am also anxious to grow the "Aji Pacae". This is a rare one, ripens orange and is about 10" long...longest of the Peruvian Ajis. Supposed to be not too hot.

Going to India in September and will be haunting the markets there. We have been before and they have more pepper varieties than I think I have ever seen in one place. The only difficult thing is that many of the same pepper are called different names in different areas of India...

Also looking forward to "Kopay". These can get up to 15 inches long! It was great seed...came up in 5 days and the seedlings just took off.

Lastly...I am growing a mega hot that has no name. It has very nearly black pod, looks like a Bhut, but longer and smoother. Foliage is green and really purple. From Bangladesh. I'm calling it "Bangladeshi Black Mamba". My Husband says it is "an inferno" in your mouth, hot as any of the megas if not hotter. I do not have it in my list because it was a late seed acquisition via my brother who was in Bangladesh and it may not be ready until way later than all the others. If the seeds I offer do not go home with my kid in November, I can't send them from Mexico...they disappear, get seized, stolen, take 6 months to show up. My kid sent some seeds to a forum member in Mexico and they took nearly 2 months to get there. If we have anyone come who can take them back and send to my Son I might be able to offer some.

Anyway, I will be happy to be able to offer some of these...lots of interesting and unusual varieties. Should be some for everyone in my list. My Mexican friends and neighbors are "putting in their orders" for all the kinds they want either fresh, or to dry or to smoke (they smoke a lot of peppers here.) I never sell any, just give them away. I don't want to compete with those who grow to earn money for their families here.
Old March 25, 2014   #35
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah peppers are pretty cool, so many types. I have so many this year, I can't really add anymore. But I obtained some cool seeds like the Orange Tree Habanero. My seeds come from this plant. These plants will live over ten years. This plant is common, but I have seeds also from a Red Tree Habanero, a little harder to find.
Next year I want to grow the Blue Mystery pepper. Obtained some seeds. Different species of peppers also interest me, some of the wild types. Also the ornamentals that are small to keep as house plants.
I'm going to try and grow black pepper too and grind my own home grown black pepper.
I can only grow so many, so I have to have limits, which really suck! I would like to make my own powders and paprika. This year s more about finding out what works here. Zone 6a is not ideal for peppers. Although the photo of the Orange Habanero is from zone 4.

Last edited by drew51; March 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old March 25, 2014   #36
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

NICE!! You about needed a forklift to tote that baby around! One of my neighbors here has a Chili de Arbol that is about 8 feet tall...
Old March 25, 2014   #37
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoguy View Post
Haha, I've been growing the super hots for a couple of years now. I don't eat them raw, not me, call me a wimp. What I do is add them to my hot sauces, more or less, make them as hot as I like.

I may have a couple you're husband doesn't have, I'll have to see if I can bag some blossoms.
Have you tried making fermented pepper sauce? We do this with our peppers and then add opinions, cilantro, tomatoes and lime juice. Makes an awesome hot sauce, much better than fresh peppers! Plus, it lasts a long time if we don't eat it up. We add a bit of organic apple cider vinegar too, which helps to keep it fresh.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #38
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
No..gets too humid in July, Aug & Sept. My Husband treats many of the mega hots as perennials but personally, by the time July rolls around, I am DONE! We travel quite a bit between July & November and then usually in Jan and Feb but this year I stayed home part of that and he went pig hunting in Brazil.
I have a jalapeño " tree" which is four years old. How long has he kept his peppers going? My tree has a trunk about 3 inches in diameter as is developing an almost bark-like covering.
I've had several very old peppers and eggplants. Four is my max, I lost a bunch of them two winters ago in a freaky cold freeze which lasted several days.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #39
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah you can have maybe one that big! Here one has to bring them inside yikes!
Wow, your list is impressive. I want to learn more about the various types.
Specialty Orchid (Brazil)
What do you use this one for?
Specialty Rocoto Mexican
These are cool peppers, any Rocoto, what use? I'm growing an orange Rocoto this year.
Growing kinda slow, which is not good, one needs a lot of time for this one.

I'm interested in peppers from Guam, Mega Donni Sali (Guam)
That I think is the same as Boonie peppers? i just bought a wild type.
Mega Bahamian Starfish (Bahamas)
I want to try this one!
Spain Paprika Extremeno

For paprika? Any others used for paprika?

Also interested in any rare regional types, just to keep them around! A backup source, etc.
I grow a wyeberry which is a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry. It's not exceptional good, boysenberry, newberry and other crosses are superior, but it is not sold anymore, so I feel I must keep it going. It could be used for future crosses. It has some good traits like hardiness.
This need to collect is a disorder! I have a friend who has 150 different fig trees! The problem extends way beyond tomatoes or peppers!
Old March 26, 2014   #40
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Have you tried making fermented pepper sauce? We do this with our peppers and then add opinions, cilantro, tomatoes and lime juice. Makes an awesome hot sauce, much better than fresh peppers! Plus, it lasts a long time if we don't eat it up. We add a bit of organic apple cider vinegar too, which helps to keep it fresh.
I tried my first ferment last year, it was a simple one but it came out pretty good. This is the basic recipe I used.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/h...ch-sauces.html

I'd love to see your method.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #41
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Thanks a lot for posting that recipe neoguy! I'm super interested on how various pepper sauces are made. What peppers are best etc. More like that would be very welcome!
I know many reference on this site that are great too, always looking for more!
Old March 26, 2014   #42
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So important is paprika to Spanish cooking and so demanding are the Spanish of quality paprikas that there are Denominations of Origin (D.O.) for paprika. One of the D.O. is located in Murcia, a province on the Southeastern coast of Spain, between Almeria and Alicante. The other and more famous is La Vera, which is located in Cáceres, Extremadura, southwest of Madrid. Both of these areas are warm and dry in the summer, which make them perfect for growing peppers.
Paprika Extremeno-Mine came from La Vera. Medium hot. Hvae two friends living in Spain.

Orchid Pepper is used to make a sweet/hot sauce served over lamb or goat. These are not Bishops hat...fruit are different. Most closely resemble Anatolian Tulip chili. These are very sweet but have a zip at the end.

This Rocoto is a huge variety from Peru that is very, very fruit tasting. Makes a great fresh salsa. medium+ heat but yummy.

The Bahamian starfish is hotter than the Brazilian starfish and slightly smaller.
Plants just loaded top to bottom with fruit. My Husband made some chili powder from these and everyone raved.
Donni Sali = Boonie Pepper My seed came from a woman living in guam.
Old March 26, 2014   #43
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info, My Boonie came from a man living in Guam, said it was the wild strain, not the domesticated. Apparently their are at least two strains.
Thanks much for the info! I really like that kind of info! I have an Orchid pepper, not the Bishop's cap either, but not sure if it is the same one you have?
I also want to make chili powder, probably smoked. Depends how my yield is. I may combime peppers to make a decent amount.
The starfish can be overwintered, so I for sure have interest in the one you have. I'm growing the Brazillian too.

Thanks for the info on the Spainish paprika, very cool! I can't wait to make some of my own. I'm only growing one this year.
Leutschauer Paprika Pepper - A lovely drying pepper that comes from
Matrafured, Hungary. It has been grown there since the 1800s when it was
brought from Leutschau (Slovakia). The medium-hot paprikas have great
flavor, are terrific for drying, and makes a delicious spicy powder.
Old March 26, 2014   #44
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I agree - these sites are like crack for this seed whore.

I think when I shop next year, I will go to semillas first :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I like your thinkin'!!!
They really did have a great inventory of seeds. I will be tip toeing through their site next year myself. Buying seeds is like buying crack...just get your fix and then chasing the next one! There is always some new variety calling my name..."Pssstttt...hey lady...got what you're looking for right here..."
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014   #45
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

Seeds received within a week!!

Can't wait to try these next year.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote