Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old June 19, 2017   #16
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the "Heads Up"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddybill View Post
Here are a few that I've harvested so far. Haven't tried them yet so can't say about flavor. Little Green, Masego, Little Sailor, Mitoyo
The Mitoyo in this series is likely Aswad too. Thanks for the pointing out the discrepancy.

Bill
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #17
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddybill View Post
Here's a revised harvest shot. The Mitoyo does have a dark purple calyx, though when small it's not as distinctly purple.
The stalks/stems and calyxes on Mitoyo were always dark purple-black for me at all points of development. At no point were they green. Aswad, OTOH, was a very bright green plant, including stalks and calyxes.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #18
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown small eggplant so my question is this: Does production make up for the small size?

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #19
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure most of these varieties with the exception of Patio Baby could be allowed to grow larger. As it is we give a lot away and eat all we can. Our rule is "if the skin is glossy they're good". The smaller ones are quite productive, however. I'm anxious to try Masego. It looks like a baby Louisiana Oval Green eggplant.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #20
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Dancer for the first time this year; also, Epic for the first time. In addition I have Galine and Nadia from last year's leftover seed. After the storm tonight I took the AG19 off for good - they were really pushing it and there were some flowers last week already; some of those have browned but there will be more. I really like keeping the row cover on until they get nice and big. I had checked under there just twice since plantout, and found a single false colo. potato beetle and its eggs. No flea beetles. I may have watered once. Plants look great. Japanese beetle swarm will probably come tomorrow...
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017   #21
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
I have never grown small eggplant so my question is this: Does production make up for the small size?

Jon
Yes, many small fruit varieties are very productive. I like konasu from Japan
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2019   #22
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
I get more than I can use over the season from 8 plants. Always perfect.

http://durgan.org/2016/May%202016/24...Eggplant/HTML/ 24 May 2016 Eggplant
Eight eggplant were placed outdoors. Four Dusky and four Black Magic. These grow well in the garden. One pest is the Colorado Potato Beetle, which are manually removed when they appear.
My first year for Colorado Potato Beetle larvae on my eggplants! I don't think that I've ever had them on eggplant before in Kentucky, Wisconsin or Virginia.

The leaves on one eggplant were really chewed - found about 20 of the buggers on it.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote