Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 23, 2019   #601
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

So true about the flowers drawing in all the pollinators. I went out after dinner one evening and that's what I noticed too, all the different little fliers visiting the flowers and others checking out the leaves of tomato and other pants. The smaller bumble bees make their nightly beds in the blossoms of the giant zinnias I have in containers. I planted four giant zinnias in the ground and they are doing poorly, reminding me of why I grow them and many things in containers. During the droughty times I find that pots take less water than trying to get plants in the ground watered enough (plus tree roots sucking up whatever they can).
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2019   #602
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have tiny little butterflies pollinating my basil.
Might be the meadow brown butterfly.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2019   #603
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Would someone please remind me to do a big time trim om my basil and make pesto this weekend.
I completely forgot it last weekend.
Pretty please.
Old July 23, 2019   #604
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, trim the basil. I have to write that now because...um what were we talking about? Oh yeah, it's written above.

Years ago I bought a white board for making a grocery and household list. Now it has become a "Remember to do this" list.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019   #605
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The tomato plants are still producing here in late July. Who would have thought it to be possible? They don't look all loud and proud leaf-wise, but they are still producing. The seedlings are growing slowly. They are growing in that dappled sun/shade..

I don't know about the spring garden - it has lasted longer than I expected. The fall garden, I know even less about. Then there is what to grow next year?
Old July 25, 2019   #606
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Basil the plant that keeps on giving.
I need to try thyme I like it a lot too.
Old July 25, 2019   #607
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Default Updated Deck-garden Pics

Hi all;

Attached are some updated garden shots. I have a deck and a little grass in front but can't grow where the grass is because the pine trees overhang it. My solution was containers. I am finally getting the hang of it. There are two shots from above (one through the screen which I included because it shows the pole my runner beans go up) and one that I took after I realized I could just take the screen out. There is a picture of my big Taiga plant (from the KARMA project) which is as tall as the glass door on the house. There is a shot of my two gray totes of pole beans and of bush beans (I have another with Swiss Chard as well). One shot has 2 of my 10 x 5 gallon self watering containers. The tomato (Left bucket) is Sophie's Choice. The right bucket is Jimmy Nardello's sweet Italian frying pepper. Both are doing great. All the main tomato plants are in Earthboxes. I have 4 regular sized tomatoes in the back row and then 4 Dwarves in the two other Earthboxes. All in all a very satisfying and easy to manage garden. I hope you enjoy it. Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190725_102110(0).jpg (727.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 20190724_092401.jpg (549.6 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 20190725_090914.jpg (512.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 20190725_090827.jpg (669.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20190725_090925.jpg (613.3 KB, 127 views)

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #608
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

@IronPete, nice update!
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #609
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Lovely.
Old July 27, 2019   #610
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Wonderful pictures IronPete
Old July 27, 2019   #611
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I sometimes wonder if I'm losing my mind. Constant pain diseases does that to a person, but I feel like I'm using that as a crutch. Today's pain level is an 8 out of the 0 to 10 range. I am able to function but only through years of knowing it.

The tomato plants I want to show growing like in perfect weather, but they are not. However, they are producing in clusters in late July. I can take some pictures. I should be proud, but I'm not.

I know I can grow tomatoes much better. The container garden is somewhat different - a challenge.
Old July 27, 2019   #612
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Oh Salt, you are not using your pain as a crutch; how can you, if it is constant? It is real, and it is unremitting. Share your load with others here, we care...

The body and mind is so connected as we all know. If one part is not well, then the other will not be feeling good either. I don't know how you do it, or how anyone with constant pain copes. But kudos to you for dealing with it, and I hope one day there will be a solution for both your challenges, the pain and tomatoes. We got to keep on truckin right?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #613
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It does become very confusing to deal with at times. Yes, we have to keep on going.
Old July 31, 2019   #614
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Not one, but two hurricanes... Again !!!

Aloha,
I wanted to post a picture, before it may be destroyed.
My cukes got wind whipped to death last year. I will try to protect them better this year. My plan is to put up some sun screen fabric and hope for the best.
Tennessee suited dwarfs are budding and have been put under lights and are well protected.
Lettuce is not much of an issue, just grab it for dinner.
Wishing for a left turn Flossie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0815.jpg (72.2 KB, 72 views)
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2019   #615
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
Aloha,
I wanted to post a picture, before it may be destroyed.
My cukes got wind whipped to death last year. I will try to protect them better this year. My plan is to put up some sun screen fabric and hope for the best.
Tennessee suited dwarfs are budding and have been put under lights and are well protected.
Lettuce is not much of an issue, just grab it for dinner.
Wishing for a left turn Flossie.
Tom, a lot of us don't have a clue what it is like there.