Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 22, 2011   #31
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My favorite dressing for a large salad is an Asian poppy seed dressing. Ingredients are lime juice, orange & pineapple concentrate, sugar, honey, garlic, ginger, poppy seed, mustard powder, soy sauce, black pepper, salt, a few drops of roasted sesame seed oil, a little extra virgin olive oil and canola oil. The salad is made with various lettuces, tomato, cucumber, onion, feta cheese, a little sharp Vermont cheddar, grilled chicken, Mandarin orange slices and topped with a few chow mein noodles. This makes a really nice meal and the dressing and salad ingredients can be adjusted to suit your taste.

I would eat a large salad every few days for a meal but my wife gets tired of salad before I do. I just hate to see the lettuce and spinach go to waste but every year I throw away a huge pile of lettuce because we can't eat it fast enough. One thing about lettuce is that when it is ready you don't want to leave it long in the garden or it will ruin.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #32
emzybo
Tomatovillian™

Those who have grown Jericho/Nevada lettuce... what are your experiences? How long into the season where you able to grow it before bolting? Thanks!
emzybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #33
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

I planted Jericho one year and it bolted rather quickly. I was disappointed because the catalog description indicated it would hold up under extreme heat.

However, I only planted it one year, so maybe it would have grown better if I would have tried it again.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #34
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzybo View Post
Those who have grown Jericho/Nevada lettuce... what are your experiences? How long into the season where you able to grow it before bolting? Thanks!
I have found very few varieties that won't bolt down here. Lettuce for me is a fall through mid spring crop that seldom does very well after March.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #35
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Johnny's sells two varieties of lettuce that I think are just spectacular - Cherokee and Magenta - they combine the crispness and sweetness of cos types, but are more of a crisphead - we pick outer leaves from them all spring, and they are relatively slow bolting as well....Magenta is bright green with red shading, Cherokee is a stunning mostly deep red.

Thanks to my friend Tomaddict, I always grow 30+ types - the mix of leaf shapes and colors and growth habits is really interesting to see.
Old March 6, 2011   #36
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I grow Nevada every year, have no trouble with early bolting, but our normal summer highs range between the 70's and 80's F, 90's don't last long. As long as I water frequently, Nevada does not get bitter. Along with Summertime, Nevada lettuce is my mainstay type all summer. My only problem is that I get lazy and don't get successive plantings started on a timely basis. I start most lettuce seed in flats so I can space transplants in the garden and not worry about too much heat or dry soil to sprout seeds, or run off and puddling seeds in heavy rain. I wish I could still get Sierra someplace, which was a red-tinted leaf very similar to Nevada.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #37
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

The romaine I have had the most success with is Plato II.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote