Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old October 20, 2018   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The outer adapter could/would have O rings to prevent leakage.
If it is a taper I could duplicate the taper and it alone would prevent leaks.
Many ways to solve the problem.
More than I can write about.

whatever the case I am glad you are happy with it.
Once you go motorized you never go back.
Too many hours and sore arms wasted with a hand grinder myself.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #32
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, right on with the sore arms. I'm thinking now of selling this BTB mill. Maybe someone will want to own something that may become an antique. Either way, like you said. I'll never go back. Gotta go. I need to stir the latest "almost juice".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #33
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Ted, it is a definite game changer! I had the same thought as you -- why didn't I buy this year's ago?

I know you run heirlooms so not sure it would work for you, but I run pastes which are usually plum shaped and I cut the smaller ones in half and the larger ones into wedges and then feed them one or two at a time. This way they go through with no help from me--the KA actually gets ahead of me sometimes!

It's the same way when I grind meat -- cut it into strips instead of cubes and feed them in. Less cutting, easier feeding, and no having to push it through.

Enjoy the tomato juice!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Ted, it is a definite game changer! I had the same thought as you -- why didn't I buy this year's ago?

I know you run heirlooms so not sure it would work for you, but I run pastes which are usually plum shaped and I cut the smaller ones in half and the larger ones into wedges and then feed them one or two at a time. This way they go through with no help from me--the KA actually gets ahead of me sometimes!

It's the same way when I grind meat -- cut it into strips instead of cubes and feed them in. Less cutting, easier feeding, and no having to push it through.

Enjoy the tomato juice!
Even with my monster meat grinder I cut meat up into strips and stack it up like logs on the tray.
One right after the other it goes down the hatch until it is all gone.
I could do a cow in no time.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2018   #35
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, I agree with you, Ted, seed saving slows the whole process down. As I've had Dwarf Project pastes from nine different plants in almost every batch I've run through this year, it meant I spent a lot of time sorting the tomatoes by plant, picking out seeds, putting them in little labeled jars, rinsing the cutting board and knife before moving on to the ones from the next plant... Really slows down the process.

Thankfully the fruit have been very consistent from each plant and I have saved more than enough seeds from each to send off to Craig, so didn't have to save any from this last batch. What a treat it was to just zip through them!

I hope your KA shows up soon. I don't do much baking other than bread now and then, but with the meat grinder attachment we use to grind meat for sausage making, and now the food mill attachment for the tomatoes, I feel like it's finally earning it's keep!

I'm catching up on some posts while I chill from my car ordeal (in the 2cents forum). I thought it was me that is a slowpoke on the few varieties I save. It takes me forever with just a few tomatoes. Just wanted to say thank you for doing all this on a large scale basis!

Territorial Seeds posted an interesting video on youtube of their tomato seed saving process. The seeds get a lot more handling than I thought was possible without damage.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2018   #36
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Quick and simple tomato juice.

31 August 2018 Tomato Juice (Pure Tomato Juice)
Posted on August 31, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/August%202018...%20Juice/HTML/ 31 August 2018 Tomato Juice
Fifty six pounds of tomatoes were picked and processed into pure tomato juice meaning nothing was added. The tomatoes were cooked in their own juice. The tomatoes were quartered and cooked about 20 minutes, made into a slurry with the hand blender, strained through a 5 mm mesh on the food mill to remove seeds. The food mill output was put through a Champion Juicer to get maximum nutriments. Fourteen liter jars were obtained for Pressure Canning at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Each liter jar has about 4 pounds of tomatoes. This is almost the end of the tomato season in my Zone 5.

Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2018   #37
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ted for that informative post and thanks Father's Daughter for showing the results of the Kitchen Aid attachment. If I could ask,which exact attachment is it? Since Black Friday is rapidly approaching I would love to pick one up. I bet there will be a sale somewhere.

Worth-with my home canned tomato juice- I have been super happy taking vodka-add any old peppers, celery, a carrot, maybe a bay leaf. Add all to a quart mason jar and leave in fridge for a week. Drain the veggies and press into the vodka. Keeps quite a while in the fridge. That spiced vodka with homemade tomato juice makes the best bloody mary ever. Add horseradish, worcestshire lemon juice as you will. Especially enjoyable during those cold January days you speak of Ted! Yum!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018   #38
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you already own a KA mixer, you need both the meat grinder attachment and the fruit and vegetable strainer attachment. You can buy both as a set or separately.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #39
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to everyone for all your info- I scored the strainer tonight from Macy's for $35.99. ( Already had the grinder) Love those November sales!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #40
oldman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If you already own a KA mixer, you need both the meat grinder attachment and the fruit and vegetable strainer attachment. You can buy both as a set or separately.
I use the méat grinder the most of any of the attachments I have. I'm missing the newer ones like the spice grinder and I didn't get the grain mill (which I sort of regret, because sourdough). If you do get the meat grinder I recommend the sausage stuffer attachments too.

If you have a cider press you don't use the veg mill so much. It's harder to clean since KitchenAide doesn't recommend pressure washing ;+).

Last edited by oldman; November 12, 2018 at 02:01 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #41
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Nice how-to pictorial Ted.

Talking about the kitchen aid, I have the bigger unit with all the attachments. Both my wife and I use it often. The first time I tried to use the tomato strainer, the auger wouldn't fit the unit housing (it would jam at the metal hub). I tried and tried, thinking I was assembling it wrong. Then I took out my calipers and measured, it turned out the shaft diameter was about 0.01" larger than the bore. Then I confirmed with a family member who had the same attachment.

Hard for me to understand how such an error would escape the maker's QA checks.

I mounted the auger on a lathe to turn the shaft down, then got sidetracked. Then went ahead and bought the dedicated strainer instead.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote