Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old June 25, 2013   #1
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Default How to Tell When Turnips are Ready for Harvest?

This is my first time growing turnip. My wife talked me into growing some this year. I usually eat turnip a couple of times a year. I always like it, but normally most people eat it around the holidays. I've posted a picture of my turnips which are about softball sized right now. Do turnip get sweeter when they get larger or are they sweeter when they are harvested when they are smaller? Any insight to storing them would also be useful. Thanks for any input.
dpurdy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1904.jpg (478.8 KB, 25 views)
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Turnips (IME) are best when they grow quickly and the root matures in cool or at least not hot weather. I usually grow them in the fall. Turnips that grow too slowly, left too long or mature in the heat tend to be hot and or pithy.

Softball size is plenty big. Pull them, cut off the tops just above the root and clean off teh worst of the soil. Turnips store like other root crops (think root cellar). A cool location with good air circulation is best. They can store for several months.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Last edited by RebelRidin; June 25, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #3
fischer1611
Tomatovillian™

Purple top turnips are best when they are about 2-3 inches across. I use them all the time for greens also.
You can cut, blanche and freeze them for soups etc.

I usually get two crops a year. One in spring and one in fall around frost. I am just pulling mine this week because of the weird weather we've had this year.
fischer1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #4
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input guys. I will pulling my turnip this week. The weather here is turning warmer and they are big enough according to your descriptions. I thought that I had heard from someone that they will turn pithy and the flavor turns on them, it left for too long. That's why I asked the question here. I will trying to grow them later this year as a fall crop. They will be a new addition to my cold weather crops this fall along with spinach, beets, and others. Thanks RebelRidin and fischer1611.
dpurdy
Old June 26, 2013   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

might be better as a fall crop. i grew them a few years as a spring crop and as it gets hotter and they get bigger (june) they can get woody. i'd use the dtm as a guage. i picked mine at 1" to 2" max. may depend upon the variety, check the seed catalog or package and see if they have a recommendation.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #6
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I grew a ton in the spring and the purple tops I would pull when they were 2-3 in in diameter. I found them to be sweeter when they were younger, like cucumbers and micro greens.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #7
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for the input about turnips. I harvested them today. The diameters range from 2 1/2 inches to 4 inches. I'll be trying some this weekend with dinner. I'm sure that they will taste great. One of my favorite vegetables that I only get to eat a few times of the year. Thanks again, I would have left them in the ground longer and possibly ruined the flavor and texture. Here's a picture of a couple turnips along with a fresh picked Sweet Success cucumber.
dpurdy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1909.jpg (527.0 KB, 15 views)
Old June 26, 2013   #8
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Very Pretty! Could you share how you will be consuming them? (recipe, use)
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote