Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 19, 2016   #16
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Squishing the larva grosses me out, but it has kept my zucchini plants alive and producing into October. I've completely mangled section of stem digging them out and thought for sure the plant would die, but I cover the stem with soil and the plants just keep growing like nothing happened.
Are you referring to vining or bush (Zucchini) types? Seems like vining would offer a greater chance for success.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Are you referring to vining or bush (Zucchini) types? Seems like vining would offer a greater chance for success.

-GG

That's the funny part -- I grow two bush types: Striatto D'Italia from Franchi seeds and Green Tiger. That's why I expected them to keel over after I mangled their stems so badly! Apparently as long as you don't completely sever the stem, they will survive.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
That's the funny part -- I grow two bush types: Striatto D'Italia from Franchi seeds and Green Tiger. That's why I expected them to keel over after I mangled their stems so badly! Apparently as long as you don't completely sever the stem, they will survive.
I have taken a knife and slit all along vine to get the grubs.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #19
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Any new thoughts? I'll set out my first plants this evening in 14" pots. I have brand new potting mix, so there should be no borers in there, yet. I've got a a second planting about 4 weeks behind the first group, so I do have a "Plan B."

I guess being vigilant about checking the plants must rank near the top of the list for prevention.

-GG
Old May 30, 2016   #20
DjonesNC
Tomatovillian™

A method of SVB prevention that I have used with success over the last 4 years is to inject & spray BT into the squash stem starting right above (an inch or so) the entry . Using cheap diabetic needles I purchased from Target, coated the inside of stem, covered the area, the borer eats & dies. So far I have yet to lose a squash plant doing this after detecting the pest.
DjonesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #21
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone had any success with insecticidal soap sprayed on the stems and/or eggs?

-GG
Old May 31, 2016   #22
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjonesNC View Post
A method of SVB prevention that I have used with success over the last 4 years is to inject & spray BT into the squash stem starting right above (an inch or so) the entry . Using cheap diabetic needles I purchased from Target, coated the inside of stem, covered the area, the borer eats & dies. So far I have yet to lose a squash plant doing this after detecting the pest.
Good idea, never thought of this. Thanks for sharing!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #23
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjonesNC View Post
Hi-

Sounds very successful! But I have a few questions about the details of your method. How do you mix the BT? Powder is the only form I've ever seen. Do you make a slit in the stem, and then cover it with (what)?

Thanks,
GG
Old June 1, 2016   #24
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I'm treating with spinosad this year as a preventative measure, I've already sprayed once. I have also been dusting the base of my plants with DE. And finally, the half dozen plants growing in containers are under floating row cover. Hopefully I will actually get a decent harvest this year.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #25
DjonesNC
Tomatovillian™

Hi GG,
I purchased a quart of BT from the local big box store (Lowes) that came in liquid form; and there was no mixing involved @ all. As far as making a slit in the stem of the plant I did not do that either. I've heard and tried the method of making a slit in the plant and removing the larvae; but when I used that invasive method, the plant never seemed to recover. After injecting the BT internally to coat the stem above the point of entry, I covered the damaged area of the stem with dirt so the plant could set more roots.
DjonesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2016   #26
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I foil SVBs with aluminum...foil.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2016   #27
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have been plagued with them for 40 years of growing squash and until about 5 years ago I just had squash produce for about 2 to 6 weeks and then die from the inevitable SVB, Several years ago I got a bulb duster and some Sevin dust and would go out after every heavy rain and heavy watering and dust the base of the stem up along the stem with the dust being careful to stop before reaching the flowers and fruit. As long as I maintain the dust I don't lose any plants to the vine borers and the small amount of poison has had no affect on my bee population which is presently booming. I have been doing this for several years now and the results have been beyond successful. I usually quit using the Sevin dust when we get downright sick of squash. It is easy and cheap and it works.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2016   #28
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I also have had good success injecting bt solution into my squash stems above the point where the fass (SVB poop) is visible.

I use a liquid product called thuricide and I mix it with water as explained on the label.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #29
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Can someone please tell me where to operate on this thing? I have never had this before. The "frass" is all over bottom of stem and plant is wilting. Is it just one or can it have more?
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #30
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Wow thanks for the advice, lol. Not sure it would have helped anyway, so sad to see a very healthy large zucchini plant succumb to these nasty things. Cut stem open and extracted two very ugly maggot things. The variety was dunja, a very tasty parthenocarpic that had been pumping them out like crazy. I have more plants so I am fine.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote