Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2018   #1
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Default Today, I had the pleasure of ...

meeting Craig LeHoullier in the flesh and listening to him speak. His love of gardening and tomatoes was palpable and very well presented. I so recommend attending one of his speeches if you have the opportunity. It gives new life to what we are all about here.

As we were leaving, I was following a group who were discussing the conference. One of the women said that she had really enjoyed the tomato talk. She said that she was unsure how anyone could talk about tomatoes for 1 1/2 hours going in, (to which I secretly chuckled), but that the talk was the most interesting one of the day. Thank you, Craig.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #2
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I would love to attend something like that.

Last year I DVR'd Craig on PBS Doing a show called Growing a Greener World titled Epic Tomatoes. I have watched it a few times with the latest being 4 days ago.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #3
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I saw Craig last week when he spoke in Gillette Wyoming. I was staying at the same hotel that he and his wife were. I was waiting for a Master Gardener outside the entrance. Craig and his wife Susan walked by and I introduced myself. I had a nice chat with him the next day. I told my husband that it was 17 years ago I started tomato chatting with him and other tomato nuts. My husband the non gardener asked what did I find to talk about for 17 years.
Barb

Last edited by barbamWY; April 29, 2018 at 02:39 PM.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #4
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I too would love to hear Craig speak about tomatoes! He seems like a first-class guy, with incredible experience behind him....I guess it's on my bucket list to meet and listen to one of the masters
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nancy! I so love meeting Tomatovillians - it happens too infrequently but is always just a great experience....Nancy brought me some props to use - an indeterminate and a dwarf seedling and a well grown foot tall Tasmanian Chocolate to demonstrate the unique beauty.

It's been a wild 3.5 years of travels since Epic came out. Certainly the two most recent events this year - Gillette Wyoming, and the Detroit area event that I returned home from this morning (got to share the stage with Ken Druse, Kerry Ann Mendez and Vanessa Nager) will be all time highlights. I met Fizzman last year at Dow in Michigan.

For the rest of this year it will be local - four in Raleigh area in July - back to Monticello in September...but I am now working on 2019. Anyone who is part of a big master gardening group that holds educational programs, or frequents major arboretums or botanical gardens - plant a seed for me! I am really trying to fill in the gaps - New York, Maine, Atlanta area, Denver, Florida, Nashville TN, Dallas or elsewhere in Texas, Madison WI, MN-StP MN, Portland, California - and Canada (Vancouver, Toronto, Nova Scotia) are all on my wish list. So far next year I am working on St Louis and will be going back to the USBG in DC.

It was great meeting you Nancy and I so appreciate your warmth, friendship, support and kind words! I had a GREAT time!
Old April 30, 2018   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

That’s terrific!
I have no influence to arrange but I would certainly make a big effort to see you present if you get to Vancouver or Victoria
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

If I were to meet you Craig, I would say, "Hello". It would be great to meet another Tomatoville member.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am pretty much done with travel events for the year - last one being the Heritage Harvest Festival in Monticello (doing 4 local events in the Raleigh area this coming July).

Next year so far - Washington DC (US Botanical), St Louis, and Detroit area....working on lots more.
Old May 2, 2018   #9
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i woulda liked to have been there, but it was a busy time for me with chicks hatching, and my son being in a local play.
it would be something to get you up to the U.P. craig, but problem would be venue. not a lot of big cities here. covering expenses could be an issue.
you would have a lot of recreational activities in the great outdoors here if you made the trip.
keep us posted about the detroit area trip. most of the family, heck, all of my side of the family is down there. we make the long drive down to visit a few times a year.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #10
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Nancy I am jealous-it sounds like it was a terrific time.

Did you say Denver Craig?! I would LOVE to get you here. Do you have any leads on a 2019 location/ host group or timeframe? Can I help? We have wonderful Botanic Gardens here plus branches of Colorado State Extension where the goal is public education.

I was just manning the Master Gardener phones today with another CMG and she seemed surprised I could talk tomatoes for hours. Not surprising to us here, but in the real world I guess it's a bit odd...It would sure be great to hear you in person Craig!

Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
If I were to meet you Craig, I would say, "Hello". It would be great to meet another Tomatoville member.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
I am pretty much done with travel events for the year - last one being the Heritage Harvest Festival in Monticello (doing 4 local events in the Raleigh area this coming July).

Next year so far - Washington DC (US Botanical), St Louis, and Detroit area....working on lots more.
After I think about my post, it might not sound like I meant it to. I am very proud of you. I have seen you on PBS. I can't imagine what it's like to be on camera or speaking in public. I bought your book from a high cost place, but honestly, I kept saying to myself "Get to the point".

Congrats, ride the wave.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #12
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Keith, I am now in agreement for an event next March 16 to be a speaker at the annual Great Gardens event put on by Taylor Garden Club, Taylor Conservatory and Wayne County community college - they are telling me up to 400 attendees - early negotiations, but I am putting it on my calendar.

Heide, I am working on a few leads for Denver - we are on vacation next week at Ocracoke Island and spending time on 2019 events is on my agenda...some of the gardening friends I've met and made (Ken Druse, Kelly Ann Mendez, Bob Lyons) are helping me with contacts and leads.

thanks for the kind words, Robert (and all!)
Old May 3, 2018   #13
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Wow, next year you will really be in my neighborhood. The Taylor Conservatory is actually a model of the beloved Belle Isle Convervatory in downtown Detroit. Should be a great event. Hope to meet a lot of Michigan Tomatovillians there.

Heide, your botanical gardens are wonderful. The way they used the topography of the area to define their planting’s and the integration of native species is inspiring. As always for me, the Japanese Garden area was a highlight.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018   #14
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Nancy I am jealous-it sounds like it was a terrific time.

Did you say Denver Craig?! I would LOVE to get you here. Do you have any leads on a 2019 location/ host group or timeframe? Can I help? We have wonderful Botanic Gardens here plus branches of Colorado State Extension where the goal is public education.

I was just manning the Master Gardener phones today with another CMG and she seemed surprised I could talk tomatoes for hours. Not surprising to us here, but in the real world I guess it's a bit odd...It would sure be great to hear you in person Craig!

Heide
I would agree that the Denver Botanic Gardens are pretty awesome. I have been there 3 times and I am due for a revisit. The Master Gardeners in Casper and Cheyenne would likely attend. Although I live near Cody, Wyoming, it is not too far for our Master Gardeners to attend either. Hopefully the weather would cooperate. I enjoyed the smaller crowd in Gillette, as it gave everyone a chance to ask questions. Although I have been gardening my entire life, there is much to learn from Craig. It is not just the education, but his enthusiasm.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote