Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 30, 2017   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default ?

Has anyone grown Carolina Wonder or Charleston Belle sweet bell peppers? How did they perform in the southern summers? Both are supposedly resistant to RKN so they might be more vigorous down here in south Alabama; but I would like to hear how they have done for gardeners on this site if any of you have tried them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bill,

I read about them while researching RKN resistant plants. I found the link http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic2216.html

It was in the thread I started http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=41682&page=4 Post 104. I knew I had read about those varieties.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; January 31, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I guess no one has tried them so I am going to go ahead and get some of the seed and try them as late peppers this year. With such a late start they will have to endure some real trying times so it will be a good test of whether they do better than the other varieties I have been growing. Last year was the worst bell pepper year I have ever experienced and hope I don't have another like that again.

Bill
Old February 6, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Has anyone grown Carolina Wonder or Charleston Belle sweet bell peppers? How did they perform in the southern summers? Both are supposedly resistant to RKN so they might be more vigorous down here in south Alabama; but I would like to hear how they have done for gardeners on this site if any of you have tried them.

Bill
Bill, I see you are into peppers too.
I have stopped trying to grow bell peppers. Instead I rather grow non bell sweet ones. Right now I am growing some red and orange small sweet peppers. I got the seeds from store bough package that come in various colors. They are much tastier than bell. I also like poblano and cubanel. But did not have seeds for them this year. My other mild favorite is Fresno. Luckily I got one germinated. It turns nice re quickly.
Jalapeno is my regular for fresh eating . But I'd prefer serrano. But again did not have seeds for it. So I have to settle with Jalapeno and Fresno.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #5
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

You need seeds?? Boy, we got seeds. Just ask.

Edit: No bells.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Last edited by dmforcier; February 8, 2017 at 12:58 PM.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I like most mild to medium hot peppers but don't like the super hot ones. Even when they taste great I can't eat enough of them before I'm too miserable to enjoy them.

I love bell peppers especially sweet red ones; but last year was a disaster for my bells so I thought I would try these two varieties that are nematode resistant and see how they do. I ordered the seed but they will be really late by the time I get them going but at least I can find out if they do better in my garden.

Bill