Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 19, 2017   #16
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
My bells always prefer shade, I noticed that I wouldn't get any peppers forming until fall, then I'd get a hundred at once. It was because it was cooler. Once I started growing them in partial shade they produce all season. Where the pepper is originally from also seems to be a factor. Hungarian peppers for example don't like high temps in my experience, where as a South American pepper thrives in heat.
Definitely going to get the sweets under some shade and cooler areas. Interesting about the origin areas. Think, I'll do some look ups on where the ones I plan on planting come from.

I'm so glad I decided to ask for folks opinions. At least now, I feel a whole lot more optimistic about having a successful growing season with them. I'm getting excited now. I'll be lots more excited when I see more than a couple sweet peppers too.

Knowledge is power, shared is so valuable. I knew I was doing something wrong. I'm sure my peppers will be thanking you all too.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Like every other plants peppers also grow in certain optimum condition.
I don't think any vegetable like scorching hot weather. That includes tomatoes and peppers too.

On the growing peppers, I gave up on any BELL variety years ago. for more than one reason.Instead I grow other better tasting varieties with slight heat or no het like : Cubanell, Poblano, Gypsy, banana, ..Fresno,.... all the way to super hots.
I have noticed that peppers fruit similar to determinant tomatoes ie in flushes , and not continuously like indet tomatoes.

OK. a question to BVV and those in south:
When do you plant out your peppers, comparing to tomatoes ? And at what spacing ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #18
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Same time as tomatoes. I normally plant my peppers pretty tight, 8 inches or so apart but this year I'm going to try containers on some I want to overwinter. Im really excited about Ajvarski this year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Big V,
I also like plant my peppers tight to kind of shade all the ground.
I have some ornamental that I will plant them as bunch in a big containers. They all have very small growth habit.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #20
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Peppers respond well to pruning. I used to watch a guy on YouTube who grew them in pots and pruned them like you would a fruit tree. They were beautiful plants and light could​ reach all the way through the foliage. I'm going to try to copy his techniques.
Old March 19, 2017   #21
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Once a pepper plant wilts isn't it ruined? I thought I read that somewhere, never to let them wilt.
Absolute nonsense, and I'm sure that I've told you that at least once before. Peppers wilt naturally - it's their defense against heat. They even seem to like to wilt. A smart in-soil grower will use wilting (especially evening or morning) to know when the plant really would like a drink, and not water otherwise. A plant can have its leaved down around its knees, get a good drink, and an hour later look like nothing ever happened.

(After a while, you learn to read the plant so it doesn't have to wilt noticeably to know that its thirsty.)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #22
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all the posters here. Some great info in this thread that I needed to know!!
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #23
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I keep my pH at 6.2 as is recommended by HG. We grow them to sell, and the biggest challenge is keeping the branches from breaking off because of the weight of peppers. I use a mix that runs 1500-1700ppm.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #24
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I keep my pH at 6.2 as is recommended by HG. We grow them to sell, and the biggest challenge is keeping the branches from breaking off because of the weight of peppers. I use a mix that runs 1500-1700ppm.
Thanks Mark! I'll up my mixer too. Mine run at 1000 ppm right now.
Old March 24, 2017   #25
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Question: if I added Flora Nova to a 50 gallon drum for hand watering will it stay good? I'm too lazy to mix it one watering can at a time.
Old March 25, 2017   #26
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Question: if I added Flora Nova to a 50 gallon drum for hand watering will it stay good? I'm too lazy to mix it one watering can at a time.
I don't know about your product specifically, but I am not sure I would do such a large amount at one time unless your going to be able to use it in three days. I can mix a 5 gallon bucket of ferts up and when mixed with water and even having a cover over the top to keep out bits and pieces of junk that flying around I notice that by day three if I haven't used it that green algae starts to build up and inside of plastic container starts getting a slimy feel to it.

I know you have a huge number of plants so I can see you wanting something bigger to use. It generally takes me 10 gallons to cover everything and while a pain to have to stop and remix a 5 gal. bucket, it better than having to worry if some sort of bacteria or fungi may have developed in a sitting bucket and dump it and scrub clean and redo.

Hopefully somebody is familiar with your Flora Nova and give more experienced advice.
Old March 25, 2017   #27
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It should be okay for a week or so. When your plants are bigger I would add in some Cal- Mag 3ml per gallon for a starting point. I also like the grow better than the bloom, the element ratio is better for tomatoes and peppers.

You should try the 4-18-38 to save money if you do a bunch of containers, and it is specially formulated for tomatoes, but works on peppers, cucs, strawberries, greenbeans, etc.

Make sure your barrel has a lid, and is black to prevent algae.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote