Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 7, 2017   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet but spicy

I have several types of seed that say , " Sweet but Spicy" or "Sweet and mildly hot" in the descriptions.

I don't know what the spicy means or if that another word for hot or not. What I'm trying to figure out is if those with that type of description need to be grown in a different section than in all sweets. I want my sweets to stay sweet.

Do I need three areas? Sweet, mildly hot and regular hots? I'm not sure if those that say sweet but mildly hot will turn real hot if they in with the hots, but don't want my sweets with any heat.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Starlight, you're making trouble and confusion for yourself with this artificial distinction between "hot" peppers and "sweet" peppers. It isn't real.

ALL
peppers are of the genus Capsicum, so named because they ALL produce capsaicin, the heat juice. Some produce more and some produce less -- how much depends on growing conditions and the fickle will of the fickle garden gnom .. gods.

And no, heat doesn't "leak" between plants, nor is it infectious.

Just plant them where you want them and watch out for cross-pollination in last year's seeds. (Sometimes that can't be detected until pods.)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Drives me up the wall when people say "spicy" for hot peppers in food.
Starlight this in not pointed towards you but the description of food and peppers.

As was said no the bell peppers wont be hot this year but the seeds may very well produce a hot cross next year.

Planting hot peppers next to non hot peppers and saying it will make the fruit hot is hog wash.
Just not gonna happen.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Spicy pepper ?
Pepper can have heat or no heat like bell peppers.
Then there are mild peppers. I can think of Poblano as mildly hot. The next up is regular Jalapeno. Its heat is just in the placenta . Serrano is hot (~ 6k on Scoville ?)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #5
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Sounds delicious.
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Finally getting to a computer. Yah! I was still in my freak-out mode of computer problems when I made the first post. Sorry wasn't a bit clearer, my mind was gone at the time, not that it around much anyways. ; )

That's what I was wondering. I'll bag some of the peppers for seed and then the rest I will just let do their thing. I will save seed from those for my personal use.

Though I didn't say it at the time, what I was wondering was about the seed for next year if the ones that said spicy were going to have heat or even low heat and if they did cross with ones that are sweet tasting, if the unbagged fruits will pick up the spiciness and if so, how far away do they need to be from the sweets to try and prevent some cross pollination.

Am I making any sense yet? LOL
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2017   #7
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Drives me up the wall when people say "spicy" for hot peppers in food.
Starlight this in not pointed towards you but the description of food and peppers.

As was said no the bell peppers wont be hot this year but the seeds may very well produce a hot cross next year.

Planting hot peppers next to non hot peppers and saying it will make the fruit hot is hog wash.
Just not gonna happen.

Worth

Peppers do cross pollinate.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote