Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 2, 2017   #1
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Default Aji Dulce

This is my first year growing this pepper and the leaves on all of these plants are very crinkled. Is this normal or is this TSWV? I've never seen anything like this before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0846.jpg (284.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0848.jpg (385.9 KB, 89 views)
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

It looks like calcium deficiency. See here The picture on this site shows an even more extreme example. A google search for "peppers calcium deficiencies" will show you all kinds of examples.

The leaves tend to get more bumpy and distorted as the plant grows. I see you are growing in containers and raised beds. What are you using for fertilizer?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2017   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing Aji de Ajo for 3 years and they look exactly like that every year. I have shared seeds with others and the leaves on their plants look exactly the same so I seriously doubt that you have any deficiency or disease so just grow and enjoy your peppers. We think that the leaves are pretty and the peppers are good too. Very thin skinned and mild.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I agree. Some varieties just have crinkly leaves. This looks pretty much normal. (Haven't grown Aji Dulce so no direct experience of this variety.)

But it wouldn't hurt to hit them a dose of CalMag anyway, if you have some. If not, then just let them go and check occasionally for crispy edges or chlorosis.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #5
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys! I did pick up some CalMag, so I might give them a small dose. However, one of my Aji Dulce peppers is planted in a bed with 2 other varieties and they don't seem to have the crinkled leaves. So, thanks for the reassurance! Can't wait to try these guys in the coming months.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote