Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 24, 2017   #46
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

The ones that didn't come up, try planting multiple per cell. You might get one to awaken.

Maybe Burpee coats theirs with time-release cyanide.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #47
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ornamental plants when you hit the fan and drop the tray. Time to get started again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0009.JPG (64.9 KB, 178 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #48
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

No, they'll be fine. Just let'em recover, then stand back!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #49
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about growing Shishi!o next season but I see that it has disappeared from the list. I like hot peppers, but my stomach doesn’t, so I was looking for a pepper that could add just a little “temperature” to my salads and I read that Shishi!o is supposed to have less than 1.000 Scoville. If you’ve grown it in the past, how did you like it?
P.S. It's funny that you have to change the real name of the pepper and place a "!" instead of a "t". The Forum watches your mouth...
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #50
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Ornamental plants when you hit the fan and drop the tray. Time to get started again.

Oh no! Hopefully most are able to recover.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #51
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
I was thinking about growing Shishi!o next season but I see that it has disappeared from the list. I like hot peppers, but my stomach doesn’t, so I was looking for a pepper that could add just a little “temperature” to my salads and I read that Shishi!o is supposed to have less than 1.000 Scoville. If you’ve grown it in the past, how did you like it?

P.S. It's funny that you have to change the real name of the pepper and place a "!" instead of a "t". The Forum watches your mouth...

I grew it for the first time last year and it'll be back this year. They were more "warm" than hot so you'd probably be able to enjoy them. Once they get started, they seem to be heavy producers. I had three plants and with just two of us I think that was one plant too many. Thankfully they keep very well stored in a plastic produce bag in the refrigerator.

We never tried them uncooked or in salads, but they are really good when quickly fried whole and eaten just like that. Most of them, however, were fried and then cooked into a frittata -- they go amazingly well with eggs!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2017   #52
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Shish!to is one of the varieties that most of them are mild, but every once in while - there can be a couple that are little spicy. Also, when the growing conditions are dry and hot, they get hotter/spicier. If your growing environment isn't dry and hot - they should be mild in taste.
Old February 6, 2017   #53
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I sowed 18 varieties of peppers (1-14-17) and got only 11 germinated. I waited 3 weeks and tossed the ones that didn't germinate. Here is what I got germinated :

pepperoncini
Jalapeno
Fresno
Alma Paprika
Chinese 5 color
Scotch bonnet
Shesheeto
Nemex Sunset
Black Pearl
Sweet Red (from store pepper)
Sweet Orange (from store pepper)

I will grow 2 to 3 of each variety except the ones that I got one seed germinated.
I am growing them mostly for fresh eating, grilling, salad, salsa, cooking AND as ornamental. Though they all are edible.
Compared to tomatoes, peppers grow 1/3 as fast. Thats ok. I have time til mid April..

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2017   #54
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I haven't done a count yet - except for in post #42 that listed ones that didn't germinate, but I haven't actually counted how many plants there are. The ones I dropped are very stunted and will be lucky to get a few of each - I hope.
Old February 12, 2017   #55
Stampy
Tomatovillian™

Started my peppers today. A few of each.

My seed mix is peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite 1:1:1

Plants:
Jalepeno
Orange habenero
Cayenne
California wonder sweet

Pretty basic but am plan to expand varieties as I find sources for seeds.

Yay 2017!
Stampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #56
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to start my peppers today. Definitely Jalapeno's since it is my most used
pepper.

This is what I think I'm starting today.

Biker Billy F1
Joe's Long Cayenne
Leitschauer Paprika (Salt highly recommended this one)
Traveler Jalapeno
Zapotec Jalapeno
Dulce Jalapeno
Maybe Numex Vaquero & Numex Primavera Jalapeno
Lipstick
Corbaci
Jimmy Nardello

More that I am undecided on right now.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017   #57
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Leutchauer is a Hungarian paprika from the 1800s. This site gives some information about it http://www.rareseeds.com/leutschauer-paprika-pepper/

Yesterday, I potted up eight each of the following:

Gemstone
Tabasco
NuMex Twilight

I'm growing them as ornamentals - even though I'm not sure if Tabasco is considered as an ornamental pepper. It was the first one we grew that the beauty of the peppers changed how I viewed vegetable gardening. Yes, it does taste good fresh or in sauce form, but its beauty lasts for over 100 days here. However, Tabasco and many other ornamentals are hotter than what my family likes. So I grow them more as you would a flower. The same goes for NuMex Twilight.

Gemstone is new to us. Finding info wasn't easy online. In my search, I had to add the word, "Seeds" to finally get the results I wanted... from where I should have looked in the first place - http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Gemstone

I potted out eight of each to share some plants with other new gardeners so they could grow and experience them.

Old February 22, 2017   #58
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Started my pepper seeds today. Gonna try Traveler strain of Jalapeno & Sweet Chocolate. It's my 1st time growing pepper plants from seeds. We got both varieties from Seed Savers Exchange. Hoping for the best. Few more weeks and it will be time for the tomatoes.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #59
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I gave up starting and growing peppers a dozen yrs ago. I do end up buying a six pack
at the local nursery and end up with one or two plants producing just a few...
Some critter usually gets a few when plants are young.
I also just don't give the love as i can't expect much. My soil i think just stays too
cold for too long.
Decided to try again after collecting seeds last season.

Started to pot up last night and reading that some do plant a bit deeper for mainly
stability. No stem roots will form unless a leaf node is buried. (?)

2-They need more warmth than tomatoes. Bottom heat mat. (?)
(what about cold treatment or just will get slower growth if in a cool starting room)
-steady temps preferred (?)

3-I also read that consistent moisture is best. I let my tomato starts go to dry near wilt.
very thirsty. So peppers like to be kept from drying out (?)

Better looking seedlings than in the past. Started Jan 10, top pic. Same tray bottom pic a couple days ago. Seems about right. A few varieties popped up quick. Some lagging.
Attached Images
File Type: png pepper seed trays.png (790.3 KB, 56 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #60
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I gave up starting and growing peppers a dozen yrs ago. I do end up buying a six pack
at the local nursery and end up with one or two plants producing just a few...
Some critter usually gets a few when plants are young.
I also just don't give the love as i can't expect much. My soil i think just stays too
cold for too long.
Decided to try again after collecting seeds last season.

Started to pot up last night and reading that some do plant a bit deeper for mainly
stability. No stem roots will form unless a leaf node is buried. (?)

2-They need more warmth than tomatoes. Bottom heat mat. (?)
(what about cold treatment or just will get slower growth if in a cool starting room)
-steady temps preferred (?)

3-I also read that consistent moisture is best. I let my tomato starts go to dry near wilt.
very thirsty. So peppers like to be kept from drying out (?)

Better looking seedlings than in the past. Started Jan 10, top pic. Same tray bottom pic a couple days ago. Seems about right. A few varieties popped up quick. Some lagging.
Awwwwwwwwww. Pretty...Pretty babies.

Usually I am growing hots and I don't let mine do the dry out, wilt thing since some Tv folks here said that doing that made them even hotter.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote