Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 4, 2017   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default Pending pepper disaster

In my basement seed starting laboratory, a dirt floor partial basement in the house that was built in the 1870s, the new fangled wires and pipes are all overhead in the seven foot ceiling floor joists. When we moved in and renovated twelve years ago, we put in a water softener. When this contraption does its thing in the middle of the night, the water used to regenerate the ion beads uses a strong brine solution to strip the hard minerals out of the contraption. All this hard mineral and brine is pumped to the wastewater piping through a quarter inch tube.

The tube popped out of the sanitary line a week ago or so and the salty water spilled into a tub of soilless mix. I noticed the mix was damp but I thought it was just still damp from the last time I used it.

The day came for me to start pepper seeds. The soilless mix was perfectly moistened and putting all my eggs in one basket, so to speak, I planted every pepper seed in my inventory into the six packs I use, put them all in a tray, labeled them appropriately, covered the tray with a dome, covered the whole thing with a plastic, turned on the heat mat and walked away expecting germination to begin.

After a couple of days I inspected the newly planted peppers...nothing yet. Inspected again today and nothing, except a whitish crust was on the soil. The floor was wet, the empty mixing tub had water in it. Looking around I noticed the drainage tube out of the wastewater pipe. I reinserted the tube caulked around it making the process water tight and yelled, "Oh crap!!!" Or something close to that.

Long story made short: My favorite pepper seed sellers have today received an order. At least it is still early enough to start over.
Old February 4, 2017   #2
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

oh man!
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #3
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Sorry that happened Paul. Glad you discovered the problem. Murphy's law I guess. Hope you get some good peppers out of the deal. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I wonder how many could be saved? I don't think the salt water would prevent germination, though it might soon do nasty things to the emerging delicate bits. Have you dug up some seeds to see? Any that haven't germinated could be rinsed off and re-planted. At least it would give you something to do during the so-called Super Bowl.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

That sucks. I look forward to seed starting ALL YEAR. Glad you have time and money to start over anyway.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I think on Sunday I will see if I can dig up, rinse off and replant. While I am a college (Iowa Hawkeyes) football fan, I have not watched a pro game all the way through in maybe 40 years. We did watch the Giants when a kid my wife taught in grade school was on that team. He was never a starter and did get in on every special team. That lasted for three years. So it will be super-rinse time.

The cost to replant is minimal. A couple of cups of coffee at a high class coffee joint would be equal in cost. I don't drink coffee, so there we are.
Old February 4, 2017   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

That is just awful to happen. If you make a list of the seeds you may have lost, I will look and se if there are any of those varieties in my stash, will happily send them to you.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, same here. Or anything else that you might be interested in.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2017   #9
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Got it covered.