Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 8, 2017   #1
rudylr
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for some heat in jalapeno

Anybody know where to buy seeds for a jalapeno with some heat. Last year I bought reg. japs and biker billy japs and they had no heat at all. I had cherry bomb cherry peppers also that were duds. Just looking for the level of heat there suppose to have.
rudylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

How much sun are your plants getting? How long do you leave the pods on the plant? Ever had one go red?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Plant them in the hottest, sunniest area possible - only watering them if you have to stresses the pepper plant so it produces more capsaicin concentrated in fewer peppers. You get hotter peppers.

Fertilizing makes the plant and leaves grow more - especially fertilizer with a high Nitrogen content. = less hot peppers.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #4
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

I bought some tam jalepenos last year so that I wouldn't have too much heat. They were put in a shady location to hopefully reduce the heat as well and turned out to be just as hot as any jalepeno I've ever eaten. I can't seem to find a mild jalepeno.
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah my mild varieties are usually about 2x hotter than they should be, but I dont water peppers and its hot as all get out here so. Peppers do much better in containers if your in a cool region, I'd recommend trying it.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #6
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Serrano
Old February 8, 2017   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah Serrano are good, or a good habenero like Big Sun. No way it will be mild.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #8
rudylr
Tomatovillian™

I grow all my peppers in 5 gal. pails in full sun with a water solluable pepper formula I get online. My plants all grew big with lots of fruit last year. I did try to stress them later in the year too. I would let them turn red before picking. Those biker billys were big beautyful red peppers with lots of corking or cracking.I would take a big bite out of the side of them, pith, seeds and all and nothing. Try again with seeds from a different supplyer I guess.
rudylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You have to be mad when you plant peppers or they wont be hot.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not a fan of Serrano for some reason.
Thin walled too seedy.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #11
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Me neither. Anaheim, or move up to a nice hab. Big Sun is not easy to grow, but puts out a wonderful pod, so I'll second BVV.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Lots of hot sun and feed them some chicken manure. Don't water unless they are wilting once they have a good set of peppers on them. Last year mine were scorchers because it was very hot and dry and they got a good dose of chicken when the soil was being prepared. We usually have hot dry weather late in the summer and peppers are usually much hotter then than earlier in the season when it is usually rainier and somewhat cooler.

One year about 8 or 9 years ago we had a really rainy, relatively cool summer and none of my peppers were hot. My jalapenos might as well have been bells as far as having any heat.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #13
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudylr View Post
.... Those biker billys were big beautyful red peppers with lots of corking or cracking.I would take a big bite out of the side of them, pith, seeds and all and nothing. Try again with seeds from a different supplyer I guess.
Biker Billy has been one of the hottest Jalpenoes out there. It's an F1 from Burpee. I'd get fresh seeds from Burpee and try again.
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #14
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

The “Jalapeno M” is somewhat hotter than most Jalapeno peppers and “Mucho Nacho” even hotter yet, but the “Rome Jalapeno” rated at 7,000 to 9,000 Scoville units appears to be the hottest Jalapeno presently being cultivated.

“Jalapeno varieties are also available in an extreme heat. These peppers burn the inside of the mouth and any exposed skin. If too hot, consume or apply dairy products, which contain the chemical casein that cools the heat. Mucho Nacho is used to make salsa, sauces and pickled jalapeno peppers. This pepper rates between 4,500 and 6,500 on the Scoville scale. The plant resists tobacco etch virus and potato virus Y, but is susceptible to vascular wilts and fungal diseases. One of the hottest jalapeno varieties is the Rome Jalapeno rated at 7,000 to 9,000 units. The peppers reach 3 1/2 inches long when ready for harvest 70 days from the transplant date.” http://homeguides.sfgate.com/jalapen...ies-25777.html
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #15
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudylr View Post
Anybody know where to buy seeds for a jalapeno with some heat. Last year I bought reg. japs and biker billy japs and they had no heat at all. I had cherry bomb cherry peppers also that were duds. Just looking for the level of heat there suppose to have.
I have one that is not entirely segregated yet but is said to be a jalapeno with the heat of a habanero. I have 2 seedlings going right now that should hit the soil in a month or so. When i get fruit i can send you some seed. Just remind me in a few months as it gets a bit hectic around here during the summer.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote