Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 10, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default nardello sending out buds

A couple of my Nardello seedlings that around 7 to 8 inches tall are sending out buds,problem is they are in 16oz. solo cups and are at least 3 weeks away from going into the garden.Weather here in North East Ohio has been cold at night around 39 to 48 this morning and day high temps around 50 to 70.I checked the ground temperature in this part of the state and it's around 45 to 50 degrees.I pinched off the buds as I did not want them to flower in the cups.This is my first year I have grown peppers from seed.They were started March 22nd.Any advice would be a great help from members who grow sweet peppers. Thanks.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #2
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Mine are doing the exact same.
Last year they produced some peppers early from the indoor blossoms with a looooong gap before the main crop.
I am toying with finding a way to make them bloom early even if inside, so I get a large early crop. Hand pollination will probably be required.
I am guessing it is something to do with photoperiod and the.light timer, but not really sure.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

This is the first time growing any peppers from seed.I hope to plant at the end of May.Checked the soil temp again this afternoon for Northeast Ohio and it's in the mid 50's.I think warmer weather by next week in the 70's.I could always cover my garden with a tarp as my winter rye and vetch I mowed down has died down and is decomposing very nicely.Will have to check the soil temp in 2 weeks time for my tomato plants.
Old May 10, 2017   #4
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Peppers should go in the ground later than tomato, if at all.
50f in the root zone will stall them out for sure.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking first week of June,Going to watch the soil temps.Thanks!