Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 26, 2016   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Southern Bacterial Wilt

I am usually a calm gardener believing in one for the Lord, One for his creatures and one for me, but I am afraid I may lose all my plants to this sudden wilt. Right in the middle of my 7 in the ground plants I had a Paul Robeson start to exhibit symptoms. I yanked it. Now I have a Solar Flare in an Earthbox 30 feet away showing similar symptoms. The other plant in the Earthbox has no symptoms. I'll dig the soil out in the area where the Paul was and dispose of it. And pour about a gallon of peroxide in the resulting hole and replace with new soil. We will see.

MikeInCypress
Old April 27, 2016   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I guess it could be fusarium which is not quite as sudden as bacterial wilt except on small plants where it can be very fast acting. Since I have been grafting my plants using rootstock that has resistance to all three races of fusarium my problems with that plague have diminished greatly. However I have only found one rootstock that seems to be somewhat resistant to Bacterial wilt and that is RST-04-106-T. I am using it as my main rootstock this year and since I usually lose at least a half dozen plants most years to BW this should be a good trial for it.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote