Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2016   #1696
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - They are so cute. What size containers are they? What and how often do you feed them?

Here's my 'kids' taken this AM. I took pics on Weds but spent Thursday splitting the rest of them out so retook the pics again.

BTW - These white containers are great. They don't get hot with the sun blasting on them so they are getting the front rows. They are also thicker plastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full shot 9-9 (400x178).jpg (52.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg pic 2 9-9 (400x300).jpg (62.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg pic 4 9-9 (400x300).jpg (61.4 KB, 53 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #1697
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

My seedlings think they are orphans. I leave Sunday to go to Palm Springs for a week and then will drive home. I dont know how many of my babies will fit in my car.

The indigo cherry drop (thank you Kay) is blooming. The rest are 1 to 2 feet tall. Im hoping i can wind the leggy stems around in the soil when I transplant them.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #1698
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, right now they are in 4 inch round pots. I get those free when I help out at my friend's herb farm because she does not like them. They do really well for me for small plants. I did order some 6 inch azalea pots on ebay to step them bigger ones up. I picked that because they are only 4.25 inches tall which will still fit under my lights.

Ginny I can't wait to see how you like ICD. My friends are in total love with that tomato. I cannot imagine ever not growing it. It produces early and even when it looks like it has given in to the heat and humidity it keeps trying to produce. I can't wait to see how it does in our fall weather.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #1699
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - so healthy looking. I had seedlings (3') that I totally ignored last winter and was successfully able to wrap them in a pot with only about 8" then sticking up. After awhile you would never know.
Old September 9, 2016   #1700
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny and Kay, they look really great. Beautiful. Ginny tomatoes are resilient, and you know what to do anyway. They'll be fine.

Barb, i love those white pots, and
I know you probably got a good deal. Please tell us about them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #1701
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny - so healthy looking. I had seedlings (3') that I totally ignored last winter and was successfully able to wrap them in a pot with only about 8" then sticking up. After awhile you would never know.
I am not sure what to call this kind of parenting?

My MIL used to bring to the ground level long vines and buried in soil small section somewhere in the middle of the vine (leaves removed) to help them start additional roots. It helped with getting more water and nutrients. Plants sometimes looked like a spider. Productions was increasing with that.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #1702
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

Barb - where did you find the white pots? My standard black ones are blazing hot in this weather. Am constantly moving everything around to get some shade while still trying to get sun to my seedlings.

Kay - I LOVE Bunny Hop! Ellie is wonderful and I ordered and have started several micro dwarfs and a few "basket" varieties for her. Thank you again for the recommendation. Also - are those pots the final size you'll be using? I imagine 60 days from start, they are probably full grown. I had such great luck with Red Robin, looking forward to many more baby plants this fall. So easy!

Also trying NBD, Dwarf Extreme, Orange Cream Dwarf and a few others in my new white earthboxes as soon as they arrive. Seedlings are going strong but am getting concerned about this almost daily rain here in Jupiter. Am new to EBs and excited! Have CityPickers from spring which I will also try tomatoes in for the first time.

But - so far, all looking great - much healthier and growing faster for some reason than my spring tomatoes.
AudreyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #1703
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default White 4.5" pots

Audrey, Before I transplanted them, and they were in the cell packs, I just put a trough in front of them (or even placed the cell pack in the trough).

I got mine on Amazon but they don't have any in white for the size 4.5" square
There were 45 of them for $20

Here is it in black so you can compare to the others for size.
https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Press-Fi...478648&sr=8-18

Here is something very close (same company) that is 4.5" square and 5" deep and WHITE. But note the qty is 25 not 45.

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Square-P...e+plastic+pots

And if 4" would work, but note: it is really 3.5 x 3.5
https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Press-Fi...keywords=white

And finally, you could buy directly from the company.
$14.27 for 45 plus shipping. They have other quantities.
http://www.secondsunhydro.com/produc...nt=10360334471

Shipping was not bad: <$9.46 for priority mail. It really justifies it with qty of 100

This is exactly what I have.

-----
But if you OK with ROUND ones, Amazon has lots of white ones from secondsunhydro.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=white+pots
--

Last edited by Barb_FL; September 10, 2016 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added more info
Old September 10, 2016   #1704
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Audrey, I am going to step them up to 6 inch azalea pots. I picked those because they are only 4.25 inches tall so they will fit under my lights. They were drying out too fast in the 4 inch pots now that they have developed good roots.

Pinocchio Orange was the first to set fruit and Red Robin was next. Baby is the tiny plant and it has fruit also. I did get Ditmarsher and Rosy Falls basket tomatoes. They are too tall to keep inside. Neither one has developed flowers.

I used Tomatotone when they were stepped up but after that I give them Neptune Harvest fish & seaweed weekly.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2016   #1705
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default We call it trench planting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I am not sure what to call this kind of parenting?

My MIL used to bring to the ground level long vines and buried in soil small section somewhere in the middle of the vine (leaves removed) to help them start additional roots. It helped with getting more water and nutrients. Plants sometimes looked like a spider. Productions was increasing with that.

If you have some decent cherry trans plants(1-2 foot ) you can make a decent plant for as long as it keeps growing and you keep training.All the leaders will stand straight up.
Old September 10, 2016   #1706
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barb - ordered the last set available of 5"deep white pots!

Kay - thanks for the update. Am moving Red Robin into her 8" pot today.

Having a great season so far. Lots of sun here finally!
AudreyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #1707
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Seeded 132 3 1/2" cups with Castle Dome Broccoli seeds. Hope for them to go in as 2nd crop in very early December. The plants for the first crop are growing nicely and I hope to get some descent Broccoli heads from them. It will probably depend on the temperature in October. If on the cool side it should be good. If hot it's not.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #1708
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - Thanks for the reminder - if you are starting your second crop, I should start mine. Are you not growing Premium Crop broccoli anymore?

So we had such a dry summer and have been inundated with rain and wind especially today. I brought all my non-dwarf tomato seedlings inside this morning even though they were on the porch and had barriers around then to reduce the wind effect, they were getting beat. The dwarfs being shorter and sturdier do seem to handle intense wind gusts well.
Old September 13, 2016   #1709
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - Thanks for the reminder - if you are starting your second crop, I should start mine. Are you not growing Premium Crop broccoli anymore?

So we had such a dry summer and have been inundated with rain and wind especially today. I brought all my non-dwarf tomato seedlings inside this morning even though they were on the porch and had barriers around then to reduce the wind effect, they were getting beat. The dwarfs being shorter and sturdier do seem to handle intense wind gusts well.
Barb,
No I am not planting Premium Crop this year, even though I like it a lot. I'm going with Castle Dome for now, because it's dtm is earlier at 50 from transplant. I am hoping to squeeze in a least 1 additional crop during the season. If I were going to plant only 1 or 2 crops, I think I would give Coronado Crown a try. Tomatovillian B54red (Bill) grows it and likes it a lot and I read good things about it.
I'm hoping for a good bean season this fall, last fall was awful. I have 11 varieties (not including the cowpeas) of bush and pole beans planted. Maybe I will find something that works. I would love to freeze a whole lot of green beans.
Someone must have written, "Man can't live by Arugula alone".
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; September 13, 2016 at 08:47 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #1710
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny and Kay, they look really great. Beautiful. Ginny tomatoes are resilient, and you know what to do anyway. They'll be fine.

Barb, i love those white pots, and
I know you probably got a good deal. Please tell us about them.
My husband said if I dont get them home soon they will be teenagers. I said they already are.

Cant remember if I ever posted my sauce and salsa results. Memory is so bad these days. Plus about 16 pints in the freezer of Barbs tomato recipe and 30 pounds of various stages of green tomatoes in the cold basement so hopefully they won't ripen as fast. Im in California working and will head to Florida a week from today. Finally!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote