Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 18, 2016   #1
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Default starting hot peppers from seed question

This will be first time growing hot peppers from seed. Should I start hot peppers before sweet peppers? If so how many weeks? I read that the hotter the pepper the longer the germination period. I plan to grow peppers with varying levels of heat but would like to start all hot peppers at the same time. The mildest hot pepper will be Ancho/Poblano, the hottest probably chocolate habanero. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jillian
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

For me, hot peppers mature before sweet peppers, but not by enough to start the growing process at a different time. I do start all my peppers a couple of weeks before tomatoes. I have not noticed germination times being different between hot and sweet.
Old January 18, 2016   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I germinate my seeds in very warm temperatures, so everything goes a lot faster. I like it about 90 or so degrees. Nothing ever takes 2-4 weeks to germinate, like I read. Hots are only marginally slower than sweets to sprout.

That's not to say my way is the right way. It's just the fastest way for impatient people like me.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont know what happened to my pepper germination or tomato seed germination this year.
Some of the manzano germinated then croaked not one came up.

For the rest of them it was a toss up as to what came up first.
What I did see was the Fresno peppers did fantastic and these were seeds I saved from fresh peppers last summer from the store.

I have also learned that the ideal situation to do this is to have two sets of lights.
One set to germinate and grow a little under and another set to grow under.
The peppers came up so sporadically that I now have peppers in every stage of growth as well as the tomatoes.

Another ideal situation would be to double this idea and separate the tomatoes and peppers all together.

But we be Po folk and many dont have the room nor can we afford this.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #5
natural
Tomatovillian™

I start 50 to 60 varieties of peppers every year. For me, the superhots (habs, scorpions, bhuts) always take several days longer to germinate than sweet or "less hot" peppers.

Last year, I did an over-night pre-soak of seeds for the varieties that I know take longer to germinate. This reduced the germination time by several days.

You definitely want bottom heat for the hot peppers. I use a thermostat controlled heat mat set at 90 degrees.

I seed flats/trays by category according to expected germination times. I have mine separated into "Bells and Sweets" which usually germinate in 3-4 days, mild heat and seasoning peppers which germinate in 5 to 7 days, and then hots-superhots which usually take 7-10 days. This works for me because I am familiar with my varieties by now.

One other thing that I have experienced is that the age of the pepper seed increases the germination time quicker than with tomato seed. If my hot pepper seed is older than 2 years, I must pre-soak or wait forever for germination.

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #6
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Great tips, thanks! I do have a heat mat that I will use for the peppers. And I will soak the hot peppers seeds overnight. Do you all germinate in dark areas or does it matter? I have a grow light for the seedling stage.
Old January 18, 2016   #7
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I dont know what happened to my pepper germination or tomato seed germination this year.
Some of the manzano germinated then croaked not one came up.

For the rest of them it was a toss up as to what came up first.
What I did see was the Fresno peppers did fantastic and these were seeds I saved from fresh peppers last summer from the store.

I have also learned that the ideal situation to do this is to have two sets of lights.
One set to germinate and grow a little under and another set to grow under.
The peppers came up so sporadically that I now have peppers in every stage of growth as well as the tomatoes.

Another ideal situation would be to double this idea and separate the tomatoes and peppers all together.

But we be Po folk and many dont have the room nor can we afford this.

Worth
Worth, good to know about the Manzano. I will definitely be growing fresno. Also have seeds of your favorite, de arbol. I read that these are very slow to germinate, is this your experience?
Old January 18, 2016   #8
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Any peppers in the Capsicum Chinense family like Habanero's, Scorpions, Trinidad Perfume, etc usually do take longer to germinate and grow more slowly. I have already
started some of mine. I live in Virginia. The hot peppers in the Capsicum Annuum family like Cayenne, Jalapeno, etc, grow much faster.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #9
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I have started both sweet and super-hot peppers here in East Tennessee...MA Wartyx and 7 Pot Katie were the first super-hots up...now over the past week most of the others (Kraken and Apocalypse Scorpions, Jay's Red Ghost, and so forth) have popped up.

Last edited by tnpeppers; January 18, 2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: open-ended sentence
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #10
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

I agree superhots take the longest to germinate. I have had seeds that have taken 3 weeks to germinate and any other sweets or habanero less than a week. Last year my manzano took 15 days.
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #11
natural
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxluthor View Post
I agree superhots take the longest to germinate. I have had seeds that have taken 3 weeks to germinate and any other sweets or habanero less than a week. Last year my manzano took 15 days.
I would be happy with 15 days for Manzano. I've never tried them because everything I read says they take 1 month to germinate. Now I am motivated to give them a try. Thanks!
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Worth, good to know about the Manzano. I will definitely be growing fresno. Also have seeds of your favorite, de arbol. I read that these are very slow to germinate, is this your experience?
I dont know I think last summer I tossed some out on the ground and they germinated.
I also have a pepper plant I dug up from the yard that might be one.

My growing season is so long I am beginning to wonder if it isn't better to wait until later to try and start them.
This is what I am going to do with Manzano.
I just can keep the place warm enough.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote