Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old February 12, 2016   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Cheap Eaten

My rule for restaurant dining is that I will only order a dish that I cannot easily make at home. I just can't stomach paying restaurant prices for basic meals that can be cooked for a fraction of the cost.

The only times I make exceptions is on our road trips when we have no choice but to eat out. Even then, breakfasts are always the free offerings at the hotel, we often pack mixed nuts and jerkey or pick up a pack of peanut butter crackers to eat during the day, and dinner is the one meal we'll pay for. We even pack our adult libations in an aluminum travel bottle for a night cap so we don't have any bar tabs to worry about.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Five dollars worth of chicken and the wood was gathered from the yard.
Cheap Eaten.
Worth
IMG_20160214_44303.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2016   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That looks good. Lentils are my typical cheap dinner. I add almost every spice in the cabinet.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not done yet this is a slow cooker.
Next.
Valentina mexican hot sauce lime juice and brown sugar to finish it off.
Worth
IMG_20160214_10165.jpg
Old February 15, 2016   #20
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Not done yet this is a slow cooker.
Next.
Valentina mexican hot sauce lime juice and brown sugar to finish it off.
Worth
Attachment 56387
You're making me very hungry Worth.....that looks soooooo good.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #21
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I saw this earlier. "the wood was gathered from the yard." That's what I cooked with today. I'll notice sticks that have fallen - and as long as they're not in the way or too large - I'll leave them be until it's time to smoke/BBQ. I use the little ones to start the fire.

Cole, I've found that you can add anything to lentils. I've used BBQ sauce, Asian spices and sauces, Oregano, Cumin, Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, any type of meat and/or veges ... the possibilities are limitless. I think lentils are the healthier version of Ramen because you can do the same thing with ramen.
Old February 15, 2016   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Oh heck yeah, Ramen is garbage by comparison, at least from a health perspective.

The best lentils I have made had some "country ribs" in them. My step-dad tried to grill the meat, but it was too tough to eat. I boiled it in lentils for several hours. The gristle disintegrated and the meat was tender as can be.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #23
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

An essential tool for cheap eating is a big freezer.

Late in January I stumbled upon the spiral cut hams that were put out for thanksgiving/xmas and from 25-35 they were in the 5-8 dollar range. Half hickory wood smoked and half double glaze something. Bought a dozen and now have hog for the rest of the year. Once I separate most of the flesh the bone that's left over is destined for beans and man does it perk things up. My boys Tito and Helio (brown and light colored, respectively ) love it, only thing is I have to break out a cleaver to split it somewhat equally.

Other day I saw turkey bones (the back and part of the breast) about 2-3 lbs worth for under 2 bucks. Snatched them up, cooked a nice broth with nothing but my smoked salt, added potatoes, celery, carrots, chayote, cabbage, nardellos, and garnished it w/ cilantro. Mmmm mmm good.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #24
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

This is one my favorite threads already. We buy family packs of chicken and pork chops, hams on sale, an extra turkey when they are less than 50 cents per pound, NY strip steaks at 4.99 per pound freeze just fine. When you're cooking for two and cook veges along with the meat...it can save you some money.
Old February 17, 2016   #25
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I can't imagine not having an extra freezer and just having to depend on the one that is part of the fridge. Cooking for one after learning to cook for a minimum of 8 is hard even years later to adjust to doing. And some things just make more sense making a large pot of and then freezing it in smaller portions - like soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, chilli, broths.

I was volunteering with a group that works with mothers on social assistance, teaching them how to prepare food from scratch so that they could save money, and stretch their dollar further on their limited budgets. Some of these women grew up with packaged food as the norm and don't get the thinking of why bother making it from scratch, even if it is cheaper. Convenience is king to them. Others get the idea of saving money and also knowing what is actually going in to their food.

Part of the course, was to do bulk cooking and that they'd all go home with stuff to freeze. Some finished the course and sign up on a regular basis to do the bulk cooking sessions.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old February 17, 2016   #26
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Part of the course, was to do bulk cooking and that they'd all go home with stuff to freeze. Some finished the course and sign up on a regular basis to do the bulk cooking sessions

One of my fond memories as a child was going to my Grandmother's house.......she had one of those large freezers and kept it filled with all kinds of goodies. Her pies were the best. She did a lot of bulk cooking, she was always prepared to feed any and everyone that showed up on her doorstep.

I have a second refrigerator/freezer combo downstairs but I would love to have one of those freezers. Does anyone remember "I Love Lucy" where Lucy bought a freezer then order a side of beef not knowing how much beef that was? lololol
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #27
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Part of the course, was to do bulk cooking and that they'd all go home with stuff to freeze. Some finished the course and sign up on a regular basis to do the bulk cooking sessions

One of my fond memories as a child was going to my Grandmother's house.......she had one of those large freezers and kept it filled with all kinds of goodies. Her pies were the best. She did a lot of bulk cooking, she was always prepared to feed any and everyone that showed up on her doorstep.

I have a second refrigerator/freezer combo downstairs but I would love to have one of those freezers. Does anyone remember "I Love Lucy" where Lucy bought a freezer then order a side of beef not knowing how much beef that was? lololol
Yes, I remember that episode.

I grew up with my Mum having a large upright freezer in the basement. Then when we moved in my teens, she had a large cold cellar built with room for 2 upright freezers. With 8 of us in the family, we did a lot of bulk cooking so that we could have stuff on hand as we needed it. I think my Mum got her first microwave about 1971-72. We got in the habit of nuking / defrosting the frozen stuff....a lot!

When I got my first townhouse I picked up a spare fridge/freezer and kept that in the basement as a back up. When I moved to my first house, I took one of the fridge/freezers with me, and the seller left a huge chest freezer behind. But that thing was on its last legs, but I'd gotten used to having that much freezer space so bought an upright freezer to make it easier fro shortie here to be able to get stuff out of it. I actually fell into the chest freezer a few times trying to fish stuff off the bottom. LOL

The next place and been my Grandparents' home I lived I took my freezer, and kept my freezer. They both came in handy, because that's when I started my first large veggie gardens and needed to freeze stuff I couldn't or didn't want to can.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old February 17, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yes you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
1 red potato diced.
1 mean onion diced.
1 pint of canned fresh not pickled jalapenos I canned at home.
3 eggs whipped with some water.
3 Polish style wieners cut up.
Fry potatoes and onions in a skillet.
Add wieners.
Add peppers.
Pour eggs over everything and bake in preheated oven at 350 till it is sizzling.
Turn oven up to broil until the top sizzles and is a little toasted.
Pour excess oil into another pan.
Dress the top with Cholula original hot sauce.
Sprinkle powdered chili Guajillo flakes on top let cool a little and serve.
Feeds about four people.
Old school.
Worth
IMG_20160217_1929.jpg
Old February 19, 2016   #29
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

The frittata looks wonderful. However, that cast iron pan looks like a real gem.
Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #30
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Love making frittatas with whatever is on hand. Great way to use up left over scraps.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer