Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 16, 2016   #61
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Haha... I found Cholula, El Yucateco, Tapatio, Valentina... at our local Target and Smart & Final. Guess folks like their hot sauce here! Gotta try them all.

This thread is such a treasure find, like the wine thread.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #62
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Buy brisket or any other beef on sale and make homemade corned beef.
Very easy here it is ready to cook and some will go in the freezer.
Worth
IMG_20160316_8644.jpg

IMG_20160316_17652.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; March 16, 2016 at 03:12 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #63
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Those brands you guys are using are solid, sort of universal hot sauces. They are in a category called salsas "botaneras" i.e. for snacking.

If you bump into it, buy stuff that has the word "Yaqui" or "Sonora" on the label; it usually means it'll have chiltepín as the main ingredient, and for my $$ those are the best and most versatile. La India Brava was my favorite, alas they no longer make it. Salsa Huichol is pretty good too.

Cholula, El Yucateco, Tapatio, Valentina. Each one of those has a specific use, mostly in garbage food that destroys your stomach, such as tostilocos, cueritos, churritos, etc., the stuff you buy at a Lucha Libre event, or at anything that caters to the populace. I know many people that love them.

I prefer to make my own batches of hot sauce, they turn out pretty good. I use both dry and fresh peppers, with a food processor it really is mindless.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #64
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Gerardo, funny you should describe "garbage foods". I bought a box of taquitos from Albertson's. So gross I couldn't eat them. I'll bet that's exactly what you mean by garbage.
What are tostilocos, cueritos and Lucha Libre?
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #65
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Those brands you guys are using are solid, sort of universal hot sauces. They are in a category called salsas "botaneras" i.e. for snacking.

If you bump into it, buy stuff that has the word "Yaqui" or "Sonora" on the label; it usually means it'll have chiltepín as the main ingredient, and for my $$ those are the best and most versatile. La India Brava was my favorite, alas they no longer make it. Salsa Huichol is pretty good too.

Cholula, El Yucateco, Tapatio, Valentina. Each one of those has a specific use, mostly in garbage food that destroys your stomach, such as tostilocos, cueritos, churritos, etc., the stuff you buy at a Lucha Libre event, or at anything that caters to the populace. I know many people that love them.

I prefer to make my own batches of hot sauce, they turn out pretty good. I use both dry and fresh peppers, with a food processor it really is mindless.
It is the only thing we can get here that is cheap, since the big hot sauce boom the stuff has skyrocketed.
A little tiny bottle of hot sauce for 6 bucks is down right crazy.
This year with 65 pepper plants I will be fermenting peppers and making my own salsa/sauce.
Old March 16, 2016   #66
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

$ 6 is way too much, that's just crazy. Those things are max $1.50 down here.

Here you go Deb

Lucha Libre: wrestling, with masks and everything.

Cueritos: pickled pig skin, transparent, cut in strings, served alone or as the main ingredient of tostadas, etc. One of the final tests of your GI prowess at handling Mexican street food.

Tostilocos: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tostilocos. Another advanced GI prowess test.
Old March 16, 2016   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here you go one pint of fermented Fresno salsa with salt lemon and lime.
The high priced stuff is all of the stuff coming out in the US that is why I buy the Mexican salsa.
Worth
IMG_20160316_38686.jpg
Old March 16, 2016   #68
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

The 10 oz. Tapatio I bought at the Dollar Tree today.

The homemade tabasco sauce - I'm thinking of selling to a used car dealer. It should be hot enough to degrease engines and strip paint off cars needing a paint job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0048.JPG (64.6 KB, 107 views)
Old March 16, 2016   #69
Deborah

Thanks Gerardo. That was interesting.
Old March 17, 2016   #70
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have a collection of my own homemade hot sauces as well, and each with its own distinct flavor. But every now and then I want the flavor of the Tapatio. For me it has nothing to do with heat level.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #71
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful looking sauces from the lone star.
Anytime Deb.
I hear you FD, a particular flavor profile is necessary sometimes. Every now and then I get a craving for fried fish with yellow lemon and malt vinegar while waiting for the Block Island Ferry--hard to come by that flavor profile on the west coast.
Old March 17, 2016   #72
Deborah

Remember H. Salt Fish and Chips? Their malt vinegar was sooooooo good. Nothing I've tried comes close. I have never had fish or seafood but I loved that vinegar on the fries. Er, chips.
Old March 21, 2016   #73
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It is the only thing we can get here that is cheap, since the big hot sauce boom the stuff has skyrocketed.
A little tiny bottle of hot sauce for 6 bucks is down right crazy.
This year with 65 pepper plants I will be fermenting peppers and making my own salsa/sauce.
I'm doing that this year too! I only have about 12 hot peppers planned but that should enough for our needs. (I hope! This might turn into a thing like me making sauerkraut. I only make about SIX different kinds because we like it so much!)

Speaking of fermenting, I've been salt fermenting lemons the last two months, just tasted some finished ones, mmmm. Spiced salted lemons are GOOD cheap eatin if you buy the citrus on sale during Jan/Feb. They're ready just in time for the spring veggies like asparagus and some (not so cheap) lamb chops. You don't have to eat them just on Moroccan dishes. I love them in salad dressings, with chicken, with fish...roasted veggies are good too!

And I have some more lemons sliced and bubbling away with grated fresh ginger and honey from my dad's beehives. Best thing for a cold ever is a cup of tea with a scoop of this in it.
Plus, I still have about 12 pounds of meyer lemons staring at me. I'm thinking I'll make some limoncello liquor for those hot summer evenings and then some lemon curd to freeze for going with the summer fruits.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #74
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

We go through a jar of salsa a week so I'll be making plenty of that too. Someone on here I think (or maybe it was facebook?) said they were going to make "salsa violetto" with purple tomatillos, purple jalapenos, red onions, ect. That sounds so pretty I'm going to give that a try in addtion to the usual stuff.

Good cheap eating? Homemade salsa on top of bone-in chicken pieces, roast until done. Serve shredded or whole pieces. Doesn't matter, it's delicious! Just whip up a side salad to go with it and dinner is done.

I also love a nice big batch of (cheap to make) pasta puttanesca. It's best if you add enough capers, anchovies, and red chili flakes that the smell of it simmering makes your nose run. Open the windows wide and the whole neighborhood will be wondering what smells so darn good.
Old March 21, 2016   #75
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Beautiful looking sauces from the lone star.
Anytime Deb.
I hear you FD, a particular flavor profile is necessary sometimes. Every now and then I get a craving for fried fish with yellow lemon and malt vinegar while waiting for the Block Island Ferry--hard to come by that flavor profile on the west coast.
They sell Malt Vinegar at my local grocery store and Walmart. I think it's about $3 a bottle.