Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 17, 2017   #46
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My mums have been a disaster. My cuttings were all half-smashed when they arrived, but because I don't know anything about mums, I couldn't tell. The stems were only half-broken and the tops were not wilted. Then over the next few days, the top half of almost all my cuttings died off, and I was left with the bottom half.

I started everything too late by about a month, and having broken cuttings I'm sure set me back as well. I may be over-wintering a lot of mums. Half of them made into into my gigantic 9" pots, which are way too big. The other half that looked more sketchy are in 4" sheet pots.

On top of all that, I have seen mums at the hardware mega-store Menard's for $4, and now the local farm store has them for $2, which is below my cost to grow them. There's no competing with prices that low. Now I see why there are not a lot of mum growers. I may have done better to stick with dwarf zinnias, sunflowers, and marigolds, sold as table-top pieces in the fall, even if they are annuals.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #47
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Dang dude hate it for ya. Mine are growing pretty well. It's rained here everyday but one this whole month so I haven't had to water but I can't fertilize either. I need another tunnel for flowers I guess. I've also noticed that some plugs just don't grow for some reason. At any rate I can hopefully at least get my money back out of them.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2017   #48
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Updated pics to show growth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170815_181049-resized-960.jpg (223.3 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 20170815_181043-resized-960.jpg (322.3 KB, 139 views)
Old September 23, 2017   #49
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Well I finally got back to market and sold some mums. Went very well. Funny how the mums nearly doubled in size over the past 2 weeks. All in all I already made a profit but I think I've learned enough from this year to greatly improve next year. Also the red color sold 3 to 1 vs the other 2 colors, which I think was partly because they were also the biggest and most uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170923_080127_1506190599251-resized-960.jpg (210.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20170922_133836-resized-960.jpg (350.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 20170923_080636_1506190599409-resized-960.jpg (229.8 KB, 103 views)
Old September 23, 2017   #50
hoefarmer
Tomatovillian™

Commercial growers rarely make money in mums. The thing I really like about your crop is its compact size. Not overgrown and floppy. But they are often a loss leader because people epect them in the fall
hoefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017   #51
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

My wife & I both like the dark reds.
Old September 23, 2017   #52
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm so glad that they worked out for you. They are beautiful and so is that little peach of yours.
Old September 24, 2017   #53
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

What is that vegetable you have there, BVV? The stores around here pretty much gave up on selling fall transplants in thi area. The local hydro store is going to carry them next year because so many people requested the transplants for fall this year.

I would upgrade some of the pots the mums are in. When you put them in a cheap wicker basket they sell for a few dollars more at lowes and they sell well. Maybe half plain half premium? I also bought mums in pumpkin pots a few years ago. If kids (ditto on the little peach) shop at your market they would be drawn to the pumpkin pots. How could a mom resist.

Have either of you started mums from cuttings? I used to do that with some success in my backyard.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017   #54
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Just a thought. Have you considered the potting soil with moisture control? I am also partial to the three colors of mums in one large pot.

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Cole, one-gallon is not big enough if you want a substantial plant that won't need water twice a day. Of course, some growers put one cutting in a 6" pot for "table top" mums. A royal pain to keep watered in a hot summer/fall.
Make sure you all check to see if you need 3 cuttings per pot, or if your variety is bred to branch and will need just one cutting.
We used 2 different suppliers from mums in the past. Probably sold around 500 per year at the garden center. Both grew in 2 gallon pots. This was key for us to keep them watered.
We paid $4 and change for a 2-gallon, and retailed for $7.99 or 3/22 if I remember the 3-for price correctly.
The lighter/pastel colors fade the worst after opening. The lighter they are to start, the quicker they wash out. Go with the strong/deep colors. I would avoid pom-pomp types.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017   #55
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all, and all advice appreciated. I'm just glad I made a profit. I still have about 80 left so if I sell the rest it will be a nice profit. I will do them again for sure, they weren't much trouble, and I know better how to take care of them, and to grow a lot more reds. A lot of customers said it was to early for mums or if I'd have them for Thanksgiving so I may do early and later sales next year. My eventual goal is to have some kind of flowers to sell almost every week next year. They just sell, and are a lot less effort than veggies.
Old September 25, 2017   #56
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Great pics, Van. Mine are just now beginning to have their blooms open. It will be a week or two before I take any to market. My greenhouse is full. I have way too many plants.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #57
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
What is that vegetable you have there, BVV? The stores around here pretty much gave up on selling fall transplants in thi area. The local hydro store is going to carry them next year because so many people requested the transplants for fall this year.

I would upgrade some of the pots the mums are in. When you put them in a cheap wicker basket they sell for a few dollars more at lowes and they sell well. Maybe half plain half premium? I also bought mums in pumpkin pots a few years ago. If kids (ditto on the little peach) shop at your market they would be drawn to the pumpkin pots. How could a mom resist.

Have either of you started mums from cuttings? I used to do that with some success in my backyard.

- Lisa
I think your refering to the broccoli? I grew them to sell as well.
Old September 26, 2017   #58
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Great pics, Van. Mine are just now beginning to have their blooms open. It will be a week or two before I take any to market. My greenhouse is full. I have way too many plants.
That's awesome dude. Glad yours did come back. Btw as I was looking at new plants to grow/sell next year I saw Lobelia. Perennial, cheap seeds, vibrant colors, and they even have trailing varieties for hanging baskets. Edit: actually there are annual & perennial lobelia.

Last edited by BigVanVader; September 26, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old September 26, 2017   #59
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
That's awesome dude. Glad yours did come back. Btw as I was looking at new plants to grow/sell next year I saw Lobelia. Perennial, cheap seeds, vibrant colors, and they even have trailing varieties for hanging baskets. Edit: actually there are annual & perennial lobelia.
FYI...I have done the lobelia in hb's... they fizzle out come July when it gets hoooot out. they might fizzle sooner than that for you. they won't last all Summer if you are looking for a season long plant.
Old September 26, 2017   #60
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'm mainly looking at Spring sales and hanging basket uses.