Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 28, 2006   #16
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Grub... yep.. the Pilgrims landed there as a 2nd. choice by necessity since, according to their ship's log, they were running out of "beere & other provisions". Beer was (and still is) safer than water. LOL ... All kidding aside, my mother's family settled in Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1640- only 20 years after the pilgrims..
Old February 28, 2006   #17
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for that

Thanks for putting up with my OT question.

Larry,
I hope your ancestor's brought tomatoes. Have a great tomato meet and tasting.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #18
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

Well, we do speak English. Some of us still even drop the "r" in spoken syllables, as the English but few other Americans do. "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd" is a well-known spoof of the Boston accent. There are lots of old English place names all over New England, and families descended from the original settlers.

However, we were also the first colonies in North America to break out in open insurrection against the Crown, and the first rebellious colonials to be slain by the muskets of British regulars, over 225 years ago now, so our independent streak is quite old and deep. New England kids today grow up learning that "Redcoats" were the tyrannical oppressors, not the valiant victors at Waterloo.

There is still a sense of historic connection, and a reverence for the past as befits one of the earliest-settled regions of the country, but those connections are quite ancient now, and there isn't the same strong sentimental sense of a shared living heritage that you would find in more recently and amicably separated former colonies like Canada or Australia.

To see a modern New Hampshire license plate, bearing traditional colonial-era motto: http://riskprof.typepad.com/nh2002.jpg

To see the First Navy Jack, authorized by Esek Hopkins of Rhode Island, first commander of the (rebel) Continental Navy, 1775: http://www.navyjack.info/i/clipart/Navy-Jack-flag.gif
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #19
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

Humph. That Navy Jack link didn't work. Sorry.
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #20
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Mouch.

Thanks Mouch,

I reckon I found the red-and-white navy jack with a little searching. Good strong flag.

Thanks to you input, and that slogan —★ Live Free or Die — I'm thinking we Aussies have something in common with you New Englanders.

Now, you just need to work on the weather :wink:
I'm counting on plenty of cold beer.
Old March 1, 2006   #21
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Thankyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Thanks Mishcka,

This really is interesting. I do appreciate the links and look forward to reading some more.

Has the culture in any way retained ties to England?

Have a great season,

Grub
YES! i bought a Land Rover!

if you attend i insist that you stop in connecticut to visit me.

edited to change my avatar to the iside of my Rover.

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2006   #22
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default English car

That's very posh, Tom. Nice car!

My suburb of Manly is overrun by Poms. They swarm the beaches and mostly return to land half-drowned and red as a beefsteak.

They're not much good at anything adventurous, but they try harder than most. And it's quite entertaining.

Grub, waiting for a
Old March 2, 2006   #23
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

grub,

land rover.... series III 88 1973.... this is basicly a farm tractor that can go from 0-50 in 32 seconds!

posh? i think you may have confused my old rover with discoveries or range rovers or the freelander. like night and day!

a "series" land rover is not like any modern vehicle! ask the poor people stuck behind me but i can pull the side off your house!

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #24
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Lol

Lol Tom,
I stand corrected. Couldn't see the detail in the avatar. That's a classic Land Rover alright. And none too posh. Au contraire!

On the gear changes: if you can't find 'em, grind 'em :wink:

4WDs used mainly as shopping trolleys here and many wouldn't pull the skin off a rice custard.