Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 21, 2019   #271
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures and healthy grens garden , Max.

Now I am just reminded to start my salad greens (masclun ?) And carrots. .Talking about favorites, I like what I see in Max,s pictures. Especially those multi color one
Nothing beats,garden fresh lettuce. So tender and tasty.. Then I have to buy tomatoes and cuke, to make a nice salad.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #272
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default Homegrown

As some of you might know. I grow on my apartment lanai. The railing was an unused spot, so I bought a downspout, folded the ends with a hairdryer, put some 2 5/8 holes in the top. I started with dripcups and coir , put some seeds in and 2 days later they sprouted. The wife had her eye on them from the begining. Some 18 days later, they were in a bowl on the dinner table.
My garden is north facing, so not the best place to grow. But it works !!! I have grown plenty of a few types of greens. Komatsuna, Spinach, romaine, Parris island and others my sister gave me. Manoa and Anuneue(rainbow) are my favorite. Ya can't beat 100 seeds for a dollar. The rail system just got an upgrade, so I could clean it out. Roots and other gunk build up after 2-3 cycles and clog the hoses and overflow . Now the wife gives them maybe 20 days or so, before she snatches them. My own kind of dear problem.
With the prices and uncertainty of produce these days. My hands down favorite is homegrown.
Aloha to all.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.JPG (104.7 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by Tomzhawaii; February 22, 2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Crooked picture, drives me nuts
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #273
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sweet setup, Tomzhawaii! We also choose the coolest/shadiest spots for lettuce in our home garden, to keep it happy... North facing is probably the best in a warm place like yours.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #274
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I haven't figured out what is my favorite lettuce is yet. I'm growing Crisp Mint, Merlot, and Oakleaf (free gift). I'm hoping Crisp Mint is crispy, because that's how I tend to like my lettuce.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #275
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Good stuff Tom! Gotta make use of every inch of space. Too funny about your dear problem .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2019   #276
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have plenty of space for cool/cole crops since they are temporary. Come June, they all will gone,untill fall.so I can plant them just about anywhere, tomato patch, pepper patch.
Thinking about my favorite, probably has to be something like Boston lettuce, with nice round head. But I enjoy various colors of them, green, red , purple. So I planted some Masclum which also includes mustard, arugula, etc. Lets hope that they will come up soon, while the temperatures are nice n cool.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #277
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Default 2 week update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzhawaii View Post
As some of you might know. I grow on my apartment lanai. The railing was an unused spot, so I bought a downspout, folded the ends with a hairdryer, put some 2 5/8 holes in the top. I started with dripcups and coir , put some seeds in and 2 days later they sprouted. The wife had her eye on them from the begining. Some 18 days later, they were in a bowl on the dinner table.
My garden is north facing, so not the best place to grow. But it works !!! I have grown plenty of a few types of greens. Komatsuna, Spinach, romaine, Parris island and others my sister gave me. Manoa and Anuneue(rainbow) are my favorite. Ya can't beat 100 seeds for a dollar. The rail system just got an upgrade, so I could clean it out. Roots and other gunk build up after 2-3 cycles and clog the hoses and overflow . Now the wife gives them maybe 20 days or so, before she snatches them. My own kind of dear problem.
With the prices and uncertainty of produce these days. My hands down favorite is homegrown.
Aloha to all.
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (125.2 KB, 98 views)
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2019   #278
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Default Lettuce update

I planted this lettuce on October 7th,we've been eating lettuce every day for 4 months,and it's still tender and sweet,they're starting to look like palm trees because we harvest the lower leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_203114.jpg (279.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20190316_203152.jpg (237.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20190316_203102.jpg (380.7 KB, 81 views)
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #279
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

biscuitridge - they look good. What variety is that?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #280
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
biscuitridge - they look good. What variety is that?
Muir,it is the best that I've found that doesn't go to seed.
Old March 17, 2019   #281
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Always a pleasure to see a biscuit visit.
Muir, I have that one.
I thought it was BlackSeededSimpson.

I have three 1010 36cell trays I am trialing for next Fall/winter grow.
I need maybe 3-4 for doing just what you did. I need a winter grow to go with
my daily salads. Harvesting lower leaves.

Top pic is kales, collars, broccoli, mustards, chards, fenugreek, pea shoots, radishes,
beet greens, amaranth, arugula, celery, par-cel, etc...last nights salad.

Bottom pic is one 1010 of three. 3 cells per variety. Most will go in the garden but will
pot up into 2inch pots, one of each, indoors for a couple months or so to test next
falls grow indoors.
A few head lettuces will perfect my winter salads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salad geens trial.jpg (241.4 KB, 66 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #282
bower
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried Muir must do. Just working with available seeds, Freckles and Merveille des 4 Saisons are quick and have the same growth rate to work together, but gotta say the fresh Sherwood seeds are keeping up too. F and M de 4 S are 'typical' tasting lettuce to me, but Sherwood is incredibly tasty (that's the dark green leaf in the lettuce row. It's a mini romaine). Rows of arugula and brassicas always in the mix for us to up the taste. Jeepers those kaley things are faster than anything! Here they are before the first cut. Mine are half mowed now but I expect to eat lots from a 'cat tray' of cut and come.
Micros are so awesome and so fast! Just peachy to add to a bit of frozen curry...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-wintergreens.JPG (233.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg curry-dinner.JPG (216.4 KB, 65 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #283
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Little Gem?

I've rarely messed with lettuce but got a pack of Little Gem during that $1/pack sale Park Seed was having a little while ago. Did a 6-pack of them and in a day or two will be transplanting them into a plastic window box to grow on the porch. I think they'll stay on the porch because the few times I did try lettuce in the garden the aphids and flea beetles just had a ball with them. Then when the weather turns hot here they melt. Have any of you tried Little Gem? It's supposed to be a small romaine type and heat tolerant.

And yesterday I just "inherited" a pack each of Farmer's Market Blend and Oakleaf Blend from a friend. Since those last two were free I'm tempted to direct sow them in the garden just for grins and giggles. May be getting too late, though...
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #284
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Little Gem is a great lettuce; I grow it along with Parris Island (in Florida).

Biscuit - Thanks for the info on Muir - I recently bought seeds from Johnny's.

I listened to some podcasts on growing lettuce year round regardless of where you live and found that Muir and Cherokee do best with heat and humidity.

---
One thing I am not buying anymore is pelleted lettuce. I've been experimenting with starting in rockwool, and the pelleted lettuce takes much longer to germinate (if it does) and so much more expensive. This includes Salvanova and others.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2019   #285
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Little Gem is a great lettuce; I grow it along with Parris Island (in Florida).

Biscuit - Thanks for the info on Muir - I recently bought seeds from Johnny's.

I listened to some podcasts on growing lettuce year round regardless of where you live and found that Muir and Cherokee do best with heat and humidity.

---
One thing I am not buying anymore is pelleted lettuce. I've been experimenting with starting in rockwool, and the pelleted lettuce takes much longer to germinate (if it does) and so much more expensive. This includes Salvanova and others.
I totally agree, no pelleted seed for me either, for some reason it doesn't seem to stay viable as long either.