Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 7, 2020   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Lisboa cucunbers

I planted ten seeds of Lisboa cucumber this year from Seeds n Such. Only three of the seeds germinate. I also planted a few other varieties from different vendors. All of those germinated. I like the Lisboa cucumbers the three vines are producing, but I won't plant them again if they have such a low germination rate. Anyone else have problems with Lisboa?
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2020   #2
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

I have problems direct seeding any cucumbers. I figure maybe its a local fungus gets the seeds, so I start them inside in 1" cells, let them get almost root bound them plant them into the garden trying not to disturb the roots. Started six Sweet Slice from two vendors each 03/12 half sprouted, transplanted 03/29. Picked three cucumbers so far with 3 more nearing ready.

Last edited by decherdt; June 8, 2020 at 12:23 PM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2020   #3
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I've always planted cumber seeds direct into the soil. The few times I've tried to transplant seedlings with probably 50% success. I usually plant Sweet Success, Straight Eight; and Marketmore seeds with 90% success. The Lisboa had 30% success and my other varieties again had 90% success in the same garden in the same conditions. I was just wondering if the seed sold by Seeds n Such may have been a bad batch.

Last year i planted two year old sweet success with no germination. I then planted one year old seed from the same vendor with 100% success. Cucumber seed seems to be time sensitive.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote