Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 25, 2015   #1
Wvuarmyeng
Tomatovillian™

Default tomatoe strainer

I am looking for either an electric strainer or a decent hand crank one that I could attach to a drill or motor when I have larger batches to do. I have an old style pot one but having to empty each time is a pain and time consuming when you do two bushels of maters

thanks!
Wvuarmyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvuarmyeng View Post
I am looking for either an electric strainer or a decent hand crank one that I could attach to a drill or motor when I have larger batches to do. I have an old style pot one but having to empty each time is a pain and time consuming when you do two bushels of mater.
thanks!
Food Mill- there are many. I do about 300 to 500 pounds of tomatoes every year.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HYPCT 3 September 2014 Tomato Juice
Thirty pounds of tomatoes were processed into eleven liters of tomato juice.The jars were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for preservation. The only addition to the pot was one liter of water to facilitate cooking. Annotated pictures depict the process.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZJWVZ 24 August 2014 Tomato Juice
Eighty pounds of tomatoes were picked and 40 pounds was made into 23 liters of tomato juice. Two liters of water was added to each pot for cooking and to thin for drinking.Two batches were made and the remained 40 pounds will be processed later. The residue from the food processed straining was put through a Champion Juicer and saved for a nice thick tomato soup.The liter jars were pressure canned in seven liter batches at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Annotated pictures depict the process.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #3
Wvuarmyeng
Tomatovillian™

whats a good brand? I have the old pot food mill it kills my wrist and shoulder, yes im only 30 (happy birthday to me) but I have some messed up shoulders and wrists. I would like to get an electric one
Wvuarmyeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
whats a good brand? I have the old pot food mill it kills my wrist and shoulder, yes im only 30 (happy birthday to me) but I have some messed up shoulders and wrists. I would like to get an electric one
I searched the net and never found an electric strainer. The food mill cranking can be tedious, but it does a good job. A mesh screen colander and a wooden spoon is also an option, but again a bit tedious.
Old June 25, 2015   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-Fo...l-2qt/17027654
I have this food mill. It sits on top of the pot which means the pot can be filled before draining. I usually use the 2mm or smallest mesh.
Old June 27, 2015   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

After doing a lot of research on here, I decided on the Victorio. Affordable and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP25.../dp/B001I7FP54
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
After doing a lot of research on here, I decided on the Victorio. Affordable and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP25.../dp/B001I7FP54
Looks like a winner. I always dislike clamp mounts to the table. Modern kitchens don't have convenient surfaces on which to mount. But beggars cannot be choosers.
http://www.mendingshed.com/completefoodstrainer.html

Last edited by Durgan; June 28, 2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old June 28, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am looking for either an electric strainer or a decent hand crank one that I could attach to a drill or motor when I have larger batches to do. I have an old style pot one but having to empty each time is a pain and time consuming when you do two bushels of maters

thanks!
I have both the Kitchen Aid and a a hand crank Victorio. Although I love that the Kitchen Aid cranks itself, the strainer screen is just too small and gets clogged easily. Not too bad on tomatoes but awful on certain fruits like blackberries. I still use it on tomatoes most years.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #9
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I have both the Kitchen Aid and a a hand crank Victorio. Although I love that the Kitchen Aid cranks itself, the strainer screen is just too small and gets clogged easily. Not too bad on tomatoes but awful on certain fruits like blackberries. I still use it on tomatoes most years.
There are several size screens available for the hand cranked food processors. Usually I use the smallest 2 mm but sometime use larger mesh. The smaller mesh just takes more time to process. The criteria is to insure the seeds are removed. I would be happy with a motor on the crank of the food mill but no such thing exists. I ordered the Victorio with the motor and will give it a try.

For delicate straining I use a Champion Juicer. After food mill straining I put the residue through this and extract almost every last bit of nutrients. It is a marvelous device but expensive. I was given it.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AKDTN 29 August 2014 Elderberry Juice.
Four pounds of elderberries were made into two liters of juice. Notice particularly how the berries are removed from the support substrate. The berries this year are fine quality but not particularly abundant in the cluster.Pictures depict the process.

Last edited by Durgan; June 28, 2015 at 08:27 AM.