Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 24, 2017   #331
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Oakley, good thing you didn't make an early spring visit this year... the weather has been so bad, it is sure not worth it for a peek at an iceberg. Brrrr.
The ferry to Bell Island - 20 minute run - took 8 hours the other week, they couldn't get through the pack ice. People were posting photos of seals on the ice around the boat. Dolphins and whales got trapped some of the dolphins were rescued but the whales couldn't be helped. Polar bears in the news every few days.
OTOH the forecast for tomorrow is TEN DEGREES C!!! That is 50 F and it's gonna feel like the balm of summer to all of us here!!
Just now planning this years trip. Two totes are packed.
Due to work it will be the short ferry this year. Argentia. Closer to home. Nicer weather
and maybe some fishery. June-July.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #332
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's getting that time of year where the heat and humidity begins. Here it is midnight - you can pull your hair back and it stays there - no Vitalis or Lucky Tiger needed. (I had to look both up to see if they still make them - yes they do.)

Then tomorrow night, the forecasted low temp is in the mid 40s.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #333
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default weather

brought my plants up from the basement yesterday for the first time. Actually am lucky because they will be large and hardened within three days. That is 21 days before the avg last frost here. The 15 day forecast on the Nat'l weather site has nothing below 50 for the next 15 days. I may luck out but I actually started at least two weeks too soon. Live and learn. These are 72 plants of five varieties that I have adopted as my favs from saved seed. If I lose them I will reluctantly turn to purchased plants but I would be devastated. But sunny and 85 today! Hallelujah.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #334
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that it might rain:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mightrain.jpg (68.6 KB, 84 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #335
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that it might rain:
LOl, I thought for sure I would have rain when mine said 60% chance of rain for 6 days in a row. Didn't get but 15 minutes or so of rain the entire time, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #336
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The NWS computer reminds me of watching stock prices. I follow trends, which you can only get by monitoring the forecast very regularly. For example, a 50% chance of rain when they previously said 60% is different than a 50% chance when the previous forecast was 40%.

So whatever the current forecast is, it helps a lot to know if that number is trending up or trending down.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #337
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

maybe picking up 5-7" of rain today, it has been coming down. the bowling alley is open. glad i am in raised beds, forecast this week will be at saturation and liable to drown inground gardens.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #338
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. We got 5 to7' on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. No problem with sandy soil. No puddles, no mud. Also there were no winds to knock down anything.
Today the sun came out shining. Humidity shot up. But then we got some breeze for the rescue. .

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #339
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Five days of cold gloomy weather ahead. Twenty degrees below average. Plants are huge and some of the early varieties have buds from the warm sunny spell we enjoyed earlier this month. It was really a pleasant experience germinating the seeds and taking the plants straight outdoors. You southerners or greenhouse growers have it much nicer.

- Lisa

We got a bit of sun this afternoon. I walked thru a local greenhouse and some of the potted 4 inch tomatoes are well over two feet. I loved the warm humidity there. It was like a Florida vacation.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; April 27, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #340
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

So it does not look like some global warming in our country.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #341
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

You wouldn't think it's a nice florida vacation during our height of summer. There won't be much in the garden then because the heat and humidity really do a number on growing anything. So, we might get a head start on you, but while you are still enjoying a garden in summer we are dreading going outside at all.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #342
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
You wouldn't think it's a nice florida vacation during our height of summer. There won't be much in the garden then because the heat and humidity really do a number on growing anything. So, we might get a head start on you, but while you are still enjoying a garden in summer we are dreading going outside at all.
Think of those poor road construction workers.
Heck it wasn't that many years ago I was swinging a pick and digging ditches by hand to run underground conduit in July and August in the heat of the sun.
I put my underground sprinkler system in, in it too.
The neighbors were flabbergasted.
How can you do that in 100 degree heat they asked?
Because I have to.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #343
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I finished getting my garden planted yesterday. They say to expect 5-8" of rain the next 3 days and the ground is saturated from the 5+" we got a few days ago. I plant in raised rows in my raised bed and it drains well so I am hoping for the best. Things should explode once the sun pops out and warms back up. Hopefully!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #344
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I finished getting my garden planted yesterday. They say to expect 5-8" of rain the next 3 days and the ground is saturated from the 5+" we got a few days ago. I plant in raised rows in my raised bed and it drains well so I am hoping for the best. Things should explode once the sun pops out and warms back up. Hopefully!
same here steve, probably the same swath. but then I will need to re-fert after the wash out. I'm in high raised on top of heavy clay, the water sits on top of the clay reminds me of a topography of Minnesota (land of lakes).
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #345
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
same here steve, probably the same swath. but then I will need to re-fert after the wash out. I'm in high raised on top of heavy clay, the water sits on top of the clay reminds me of a topography of Minnesota (land of lakes).
I remember last year followed pretty much the same pattern as this year. Very warm late winter followed by a cool early spring with some heavy rains and flooding. I didn't get a chance to fertilize anything after planting yesterday, but I put about 2-3" of Bunny Berries on the rows a little over a month ago. One of my grandkids had a school program last night and we don't miss those.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote