Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old October 18, 2012   #16
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yeah, the deer don't eat the okra, but it does require daily picking. And it is an itchy job.
If you think that, then your deer are much better fed than these locally. They went through mine and left nothing but stems. Okra is hardy and when it would put on new growth, they'd be back for seconds.
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2012   #17
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

I had deer all around my garden this year and never had any problem with them.

The people who live about 300 yards down the road have 2 large dogs that run loose. I made friends with the dogs and they kept the deer out of the garden for me.

I tried giving them dog biscuits. They wouldn't touch them. Starved for attention, just wanted someone to pet them and rub their ears. Claud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gardens 6-10-2012 016.jpg (670.1 KB, 30 views)
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2012   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Right about now, I'd consider succession planting snow peas. Maybe a few rows every 2 weeks.

Easy to grow but you're going to need hordes of workers to pick them.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2012   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
If you think that, then your deer are much better fed than these locally. They went through mine and left nothing but stems. Okra is hardy and when it would put on new growth, they'd be back for seconds.
That's funny. We've always had okra and our deer never eat it. They do eat everything else, though, even what is planted next to the okra. For some odd reason, they didn't eat my watermelons, either, although they ate every muskmelon from the same patch. Either they can't smell the watermelon and/or the soap & cayenne mix I sprayed actually worked. But everything else they seem to smell under the cayenne and eat it anyway.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2012   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
That's funny. We've always had okra and our deer never eat it. They do eat everything else, though, even what is planted next to the okra. For some odd reason, they didn't eat my watermelons, either, although they ate every muskmelon from the same patch. Either they can't smell the watermelon and/or the soap & cayenne mix I sprayed actually worked. But everything else they seem to smell under the cayenne and eat it anyway.
Ok lets get something straight our deer are southern deer yours are northern deer.
Southern deer like Okra.
I even see the deer around here eating gumbo and Tex Mex on occasion.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2012   #21
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I think you are wrong Worth.

I think he knows the difference between northern deer and southern deer and actually has both kinds. Why else would he spray a soap & cayenne mix? if not to repel the southern deer with the soap and repel the northern deer with the cayenne?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2012   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I think you are wrong Worth.

I think he knows the difference between northern deer and southern deer and actually has both kinds. Why else would he spray a soap & cayenne mix? if not to repel the southern deer with the soap and repel the northern deer with the cayenne?
I find it odd that a southern deer would move north it is almost unheard of.
Yet it is a well known fact the northern deer sometimes winter in the south.
Maybe the northern deer pick up our southern ways and bring some but not all of the ideas back north in the summer.

Then again I did see a well known southern deer eating corned beef the other day.
Maybe it is something he picked up from a northern deer wife.

We may just be on to something.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2012   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Then again I did see a well known southern deer eating corned beef the other day.
Maybe it is something he picked up from a northern deer wife.

We may just be on to something.

Worth
No, he just retired to the south but is missing the food.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #24
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
I just went back and read this reply and didn't like the way it seemed to read. I for sure didn't mean to imply you were wrong Cole or to sound like a smart butt.

I have no doubt what so ever that if you say they don't eat okra, they don't.

I just meant that if they didn't eat okra where you live, there is something else they are filling up on because they go through mine like a Hoover ! But if few people up your way grow Okra, it may be that they simply don't know what it is yet.
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2012   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
repel the southern deer with the soap and repel the northern deer with the cayenne
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote