Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 30, 2013   #1
mattkeddie
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant Flyers

I kinda slapped this together so bare with the crumby photoshopping but essentially I'd like to have a flyer or postcard to go with each variety of plant I'd be selling. Just a little something different to set me apart from the others. When i have more time i'll spruce it up a bit but whatcha think?

It would have a front and back, maybe either 8x10 letter or 4x6 postcard stock??

suggestions ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cherokee_back_side.jpg (521.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Cherokee.jpg (414.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg postcard.jpg (483.6 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by mattkeddie; April 30, 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: more content
mattkeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #2
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Can you fade the background a bit more? At least on screen, it's a bit hard to separate from the text.

There's no space between the colon and dollar sign on the first picture.

Are you selling seeds? Plants? How many seeds per packet?

I had to go back to read the bulk text; it was a bit overwhelming. Is your target audience market goers or commercial? If the former, are they people like me, with a few plants, or farmers?

My gut feeling is there's too much information for your average user and too much basic info for your pro.

I think it really depends on your target audience, though.

I like the second one, kind of like a wine shelf talker. Those always get my attention.

talkers

Edit: I think plants? I would ditch the seed sowing info, maybe replace with a short line about how OP varieties allow you to save seed. Also, the bugs and pesticides stuff might be a bit too much.

Just my thoughts as a consumer, please ignore if they aren't helpful to you!

Tl

Last edited by tlintx; April 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #3
mattkeddie
Tomatovillian™

The seed/bug part was just a quick copy paste from territorial seed website. im just working on aesthetics and design layout. haha shoulda mentioned that.

the target audience are the folks with a few plants, I'd like to give them a quick summary of the plant, some simple care instructions and a means to contact me the following season. I like the op seed saving idea I'll have to implement that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blur.jpg (220.5 KB, 24 views)
Old April 30, 2013   #4
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I agree with tlntx, too much info on pests and ditch the sewing seed info. Save yourself some money on making those cards and just give enough basic info about the plant and care. You could print off some separate info sheets for all the other stuff to give to those who have lots of questions about the tomato plants.

Most of your buyers will know what to do with the plants, it is the newbie that will need more info and you can provide that with a separate information sheet. This will save you lots of cash on the making of the cards and still set yourself apart with a nice card attached to the plant.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2013   #5
mattkeddie
Tomatovillian™

So scratch the idea of having the growing info on the display card and just give a care sheet when they buy? I guess I figured they would read and remember it.
Old April 30, 2013   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkeddie View Post
So scratch the idea of having the growing info on the display card and just give a care sheet when they buy? I guess I figured they would read and remember it.
hmm, having a tag to keep with the plant and a care sheet to keep for later info sounds really good to me. Most people will know how to care for the tomato and or prefer to do all their info seeking online. Others like to have the info in a book to reference later. I guess it just depends on the folks buying your tomatoes. Ink is really expensive and especially when printing pics of things so saving some ink would probably cover the extra cost of printing other sheets. Well, that is just my thought on the subject.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #7
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

The nursery I bought most of my starts from this year had a sheet with a chart that listed all of the varieties they were currently selling.

If I were shopping at a table with a lot of options, I'd love to see a chart like that, maybe with DTM, fruit color/size, plant size, plant habit, and general taste rating, so I can compare and decide which to buy. Bonus points if the taste rating is the vendor's opinion, I'm always up for trying something the vendor thinks is good enough to rave about!

As far as cards with the plant go, the only information that usually matters to me is the name, and maybe the picture, because I'm going to google it when I get home. But I might be atypical in that. I noticed a recipe on the back of some of the name tags in my commercial nursery plants this year -- nice idea, but hard to read when it's half in the ground under a mature Cherokee Purple!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #8
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

I would lighten the background greatly, to where it barely shows (up the gamma), almost like a watermark. Make the text black. Print on photo paper (high quality print mode). As mentioned, ink is expensive.

What I do when I sell is copy and paste the basic description and picture from the website I purchased from (Totally Tomatoes, Tomato Growers.com, etc.). I set the laminated printout next to the plants where they can read if they want. If they are really interested, they write the name down (usually written on the cup as well) and look it up themselves.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #9
jdcooper
Tomatovillian™

I like #2 and #4 the best. Like the front page of a website, the aim should be to draw the eye and to get the viewer interested enough to stay around. Pictures with a limited amount of text are the best bet for this. A large amount of text is anxiety-inducing for some folks. Thickly stroked and high contrast fonts are best. Get them interested with a pic and a blurb and let that give them something with which to start a conversation with you, then close the sale.
jdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Is the picture yours? Photographs and even seed catalog descriptions are protected by copyright laws. The chances of it becoming an issue are very small, though. The owner of the material would have to complain.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote