Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 2, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Polish

Plants are starting to die back in some cases. Where they are heavily loaded this has brought on a severe case of ripening to a delicious hue. Here we have an example.

A pile of pink Polish.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous! And of course, you'll be posting back to let us know how they tasted. Do you happen to know which strain you have?

And, how many weeks have you been picking tommys now? Refresh my memory.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default DTM

Suze,

My record keeping's appalling, but I will say the harvest is going on. I’ve still got a quarter of my plants to go. Such is the joy of a long staggered plant out.

Best wishes for a good season. I think it will be one for y'all.
Old March 2, 2006   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Polish Strain

Polish came from Earl. I've asked b4 about strain. Still not sure, but it's a very good pink w/ the habits of the Ellis (spelling) strain I've read about. Very good producer and very good taste Coming back 4sure
Old March 2, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Grub,

Earl's Polish came from Heirloomseeds but there are many named just Polish and Polish (Ellis) is another one as is Polish C.

Some of the ones named Polish are red and some are pink. Some are PL and others are RL. The above three are PL and a shade of pink to pink/red.

I've posted before that I see little difference between all of three I named above except that Polish (Ellis), for me at least, is a murch darker color than the other two and perhaps has a slight edge on taste, but not much.
Old March 2, 2006   #6
toni5735
Tomatovillian™

That picture brings back tasty memories of last summer for me. I grew only a handfull of heirlooms last year but Polish was undoubtedly the best. Seed was from TGS. I love sweet tomatoes and this year's selection of seeds was based on that.

Grub, what's the average weight you're finding on those tomatoes?
toni5735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #7
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I need a tomato BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
RIPEN dagnabit!!
Nice pic!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Average Weight

Toni,
They are coming in around 8oz average weight now, a bit bigger earlier on. A very nice in-the-palm size

Thanks for the feedback Carolyn. It's a really nice productive plant and, as Toni says, it has a very strong and sweet tomato perfume. I just broke one off the truss of four I picked and it smells great!

Taste is very good as well.

Sending lots of ripening well wishes to Rena.

Grub
Old March 3, 2006   #9
bully
Tomatovillian™

The last 2 years I have grown polish and have not had good luck. Low production, and scrawny plants.
This year I'm trying a different seed source.
Too many people have said too many great things about this tomato for me to give up.
bully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #10
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

That's strange-my Polish toms were easily close to a pound (maybe more) and very high yield. The taste is very good to excellent. A blurb about them says they do well in cooler weather so they really liked S. FL. in the winter. farkee (MCP)

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #11
toni5735
Tomatovillian™

My Polish were coming in between 18-22 oz. I used my husbands digital hanging fishing scale by hanging a plastic grocery bag on it with the tomato inside I don't know how accurate that thing was, you know how fishermen exaggerate :wink: but the maters were a nice size and the PL plants were beautiful.

We experienced drought and heat in the Midwest last summer and I know alot of people complained that it was their worst season for tomatoes but it actually was one of my best seasons ever with the tomatoes. No foliar disease whatsoever on my inground plants (a first). The only problems I experienced was the dreaded BER on Bull's Heart and a plum hybrid and that eventually righted itself.
toni5735 is offline   Reply With Quote