Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2019   #1
Nematode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,711
Default Love this time of year. Pickles!

Quick pickles rule!

And stick to horizontal surfaces too i guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190808_182021.jpg (227.1 KB, 104 views)
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2019   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,439
Default

Looks great! Recipe please!!!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2019   #3
Nematode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,711
Default

Recipe
I also usually add onion and garlic.
Can make them in about the time it takes to chop the veggies up.
Crowd favorite and mine as well.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...-quick-pickles
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2019   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,439
Default

Thanks, Nematode. This is just what I needed. I have to watch my salt and sugar, and this one doesn't go over the top on either. I have plenty of dill this year (unusual for me, hope it likes the new locations and pops up next year) and more garlic than I know what to do with. Cukes are coming in every day now, so I'm set. Will report back!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Omaha Zone 5
Posts: 2,439
Default

Every other day I pick 2 huge fat cukes which reunite with their bushmates on the kitchen table, and that is about all I have to report.

Bumped to get going.
- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2019   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Den of Drunken Fools
Posts: 38,547
Default

I watch my salt intake in the winter and ignore it in the summer.
I sweat so much and don't eat processed foods nor drink sports drinks I can actually get low on electrolytes.
Which is dangerous big time in my line of work.
The reason for my fermented pickles.
Remember any volume of table or canning salt is only 40% sodium. the other 60% is chloride.
So my 3 tablespoons of canning salt I use in a quart of water = about 20.5 grams of sodium.
Then only about half of that goes in the quart of pickles I ferment which would make it round 10 grams.
In that I'm eating the pickles not the juice.
My wife years ago with all good intent put me on a no salt, fake salt, no sodium, no protein diet and it literally almost killed me working on an oil rig in West Texas.


By the way the pickles look very nice.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:43 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★