Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 30, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default swc watering frequency

if i were to put 2 indeterminate plants in an earthtainer with the 3-2-1 mix roughly how often do you need to fill it with water? i understand there are variables. my problem is i would like some tomatoes at my parents house but almost every wknd they spend at the beach...usually 4 day wknds.

i would be around to top water early in the season, thats not an issue. july 4th would be the start of the 4 day wknds.

the plants would have all the care in the world monday thru thursday but come the wknd they would be on their own.

is the earthtainer an option for me?
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Chef Jeff,

How big are the totes you plan on using? Meaning how big will your reservoir be?
Straight off the earthtainer guide?
I think it is doable. Especially if you have the ability to make sure they are absolutely full before you leave them.
If you are only building one Tainer you could buy a watering timer that goes on the hose spigot and leave the hose in the watering tube and set it to go on for a few minutes each day while away.
Raybo's guide also talks about some other auto watering systems.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #3
elight
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure Ray can give the most accurate estimate for EarthTainers, but I will share my experience with 5-gallon buckets last year. I would fill them up in the morning when I woke up, and during the hottest days of the summer, they would often be dry when I got back in the evening.

I did often leave the plants for the weekend... And I'm sure that the uneven watering affected the plants. I would recommend some sort of AWS as James said. If you don't have access to a hose spigot, PM me and I can give you some pretty simple ideas based on some stuff I'm working on.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote