Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 19, 2016   #1
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafted nut tree growers/companies

Hey, everyone. For those of you that have grafted nut trees what growers or companies would you recommend to purchase from? Have you had any growing issues from the grafted trees? The research I've done states they are more resistant to disease and grow better than conventional varieties.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea what nut you are buying but all pecans are grafted, it is the only or best way to preserve a cross.
Another reason for grafting is so the tree will grow in certain soil conditions but not likely to be found commercially.
One is the loblolly pecan root stock and any paean as the top graft.
This allows the pecan you want to grow in soggy soil conditions.
Most if not all us these folks chose a few root stocks that are hardy.

Next is to find out if certain trees can be shipped to you out of state.
It seems Texas has lifted the ban on pecans under strict conditions of inspection and certification.

Stark bros used to be good and for the most part I guess they still are.
I have ordered any trees so I cant recommend anyone for that.
What are you looking for?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2016   #3
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I want to start a nut grove I guess you could call it in a former pine tree grove that a severe thunderstorm took out on the edge of my property maybe a month back. I want pecan trees, black and English walnut trees, almond trees. I wanted a macadamia nut tree but from the research I've done on them the only way they'll grow in my zone(7) is in a greenhouse. Don't want to put one in a greenhouse.
Old October 20, 2016   #4
hoefarmer
Tomatovillian™

Stark bros in Louisiana, has very good quality pecans, but they might be sold out by now. You might run into problems importing Black Walnut. They have a devastating disease that some states are quartining.
hoefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Black walnuts are a monster to get anything out of but they are good.
Some name brand ice cream company used to make black walnut ice cream it was to die for.
I think it was Highland dairy.
My favorite pecan is called a Choctaw.
Big fat oily nuts but as with any pecan you need to plant a different variety for best production.
Pecans do not do well self pollinating.
Stay away from Mahan and Burkett if they even sell them anymore.
They also like good soil.
Kiowa Wichita and Pawnee are very good too.

As for getting good crops you need to spray and keep the dead litter picked up and burned.
I used to run a huge CASE tractor that fogged the whole area untold thousands of trees.
We sprayed zinc on them because pecans like zinc and an insecticide to get rid of the nut borers.
They will ruin an entire crop.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Xufl2cT9494Jsw
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2016   #6
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks... we have black walnut trees that grow wild here but the last couple of years they haven't produced such a good crop. I agree with you on the taste, Worth. The first cake I ever baked from scratch was a Black Walnut cake my papa talked me through baking. My cousins refused to believe he didn't bake it until he told them I made it. He just talked me through it. Yes they are difficult to process starting with not getting the "dye" on your hands from gathering them, right down to cracking the nuts and getting the meat out of them. I need to do some research on this disease hoefarmer is talking about as well as what else I need to do to prepare the ground. We've already cleared all the pine trees that fell in the storm. I will check out Stark brothers.
Old October 20, 2016   #7
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Depends on the combination. Black walnut doesn't like high ph and is not very drought tolerant. Grafts of english on black can be short lived (blackline)
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote