Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 15, 2018   #14
bower
Tomatovillian™

Planting conditions were so perfect today, I went ahead and planted all I have room for in these two beds - in all about 220 cloves and my largest rounds - 14 varieties.
I was worried about the soil being a bit wet yesterday but besides the wind blowing and the sun shining these beds seem to be draining really well, and the soil condition today was ideal for planting. The temperature didn't reach 10C/50 F and the wind was brisk out of the west but dewpoint above freezing and actually not too bad for planting at all, my hands weren't even cold. I guess I realized it is not going to get any better than this, so just as well to plant with confidence that they are getting in on time and that is as good as it gets here.

Really happy to see the updated forecast when I came in, it looks like less than 20 mm tomorrow! That will just help them to snuggle in.

I will keep an eye on the rainfall amounts coming up though and maybe tarp the beds if it looks like we will be waterlogged. One tarp is on my old vegetable garden since 3 weeks ago, I have no idea if it was enough to kill off the vegetation in that time. I cut some trees and threw on top of it to help keep it from blowing away, so I hope it stays down during the storm tomorrow.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote