Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 5, 2019   #1
PlainJane

Default David Austin Roses

I had a big rose garden in New England and have been really missing it, so after lots of research decided on David Austin’s Lady Emma Hamilton for the front border and Lady of Shallot for the big galvanized containers.

I had temporarily planted the front with African Blue Basil and annuals earlier this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 739E2DC8-2464-4807-BAB8-4DC193F7F472.jpg (386.2 KB, 63 views)
Old February 5, 2019   #2
PlainJane

Today I started moving the basil and prepping the soil, adding compost, alfalfa, crab and shrimp meal and crushed crab shells against the nematodes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0DEE637E-E940-4754-804C-8D9269CBA896.jpg (685.8 KB, 62 views)
Old February 5, 2019   #3
PlainJane

Here’s what Lady Emma Hamilton looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3395A6C6-2D9B-4DE1-905F-BF14E7860783.jpg (387.0 KB, 59 views)
Old February 5, 2019   #4
PlainJane

4 down, 8 more to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AFADBA8A-806F-4784-B213-44DC7D948A20.jpg (821.9 KB, 62 views)
Old February 5, 2019   #5
PlainJane

The galvanized containers are on the back patio.
Lady of Shallot gets a bit taller than a Lady Emma, and looks like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9102D63D-8AA6-44E8-A981-30D6689C4BB7.jpeg (271.0 KB, 58 views)
Old February 5, 2019   #6
PlainJane

LOS planted. I’ll fill in with annuals this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 943F05AD-CE85-46ED-8376-B55A994CB3CF.jpg (350.0 KB, 61 views)
Old February 5, 2019   #7
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Those are beautiful! I got 2 David Austin Roses off the "nearly dead rack" at Lowe's last year for $2 each. They were red ones, don't know the specific name. One didn't make it, but the other one has done fine.

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019   #8
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

They look beautiful, jane. I gave up on roses here. Pests and diseases galore...I'm thinking about trying the knockout series of roses and see if they stand up to the pests and diseases better..not a big fan of herbicides or pesticides. We've worked hard to increase the native pollinators in the garden beds.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2019   #9
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Those are beautiful! I got 2 David Austin Roses off the "nearly dead rack" at Lowe's last year for $2 each. They were red ones, don't know the specific name. One didn't make it, but the other one has done fine.
For $2 you can’t go wrong!
Old February 5, 2019   #10
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
They look beautiful, jane. I gave up on roses here. Pests and diseases galore...I'm thinking about trying the knockout series of roses and see if they stand up to the pests and diseases better..not a big fan of herbicides or pesticides. We've worked hard to increase the native pollinators in the garden beds.
I don’t spray except for a little neem, and I’ve grown another DA rose called Jude the Obscure in a large container for 4 years now. Every winter I pull off all the leaves, prune, and good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48C77CAA-6390-46CD-B631-2DD089E0F300.jpg (593.3 KB, 59 views)
Old February 6, 2019   #11
DapsSeeds
Tomatovillian™

Oh my, those roses are absolutely gorgeous. To me a garden without roses isn't a garden.
DapsSeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2019   #12
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapsSeeds View Post
Oh my, those roses are absolutely gorgeous. To me a garden without roses isn't a garden.
Agree completely!
Old February 7, 2019   #13
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

I think you'll be very happy with both!

My family runs a garden center and we carry David Austin roses. They're poor sellers (almost all roses are besides Knock Outs...sigh) but we love them so we don't care all too much We carry both of those and they're excellent choices and we've found the disease resistance quite good. We've tried probably 20-25 different varieties of DA roses and these have been the best for us:

Lady Emma Hamilton
Queen of Sweden
Golden Celebration
Princess Alexandra of Kent - we have a hedge of these at the store in front of an Emerald Green Arborvitae screen with delphiniums between the roses. It's beautiful in full bloom. Need to add boxwoods in front of the roses that I've been saying I'm going to do for two years now.
Claire Austin
Mary
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2019   #14
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac21686 View Post
I think you'll be very happy with both!

My family runs a garden center and we carry David Austin roses. They're poor sellers (almost all roses are besides Knock Outs...sigh) but we love them so we don't care all too much We carry both of those and they're excellent choices and we've found the disease resistance quite good. We've tried probably 20-25 different varieties of DA roses and these have been the best for us:

Lady Emma Hamilton
Queen of Sweden
Golden Celebration
Princess Alexandra of Kent - we have a hedge of these at the store in front of an Emerald Green Arborvitae screen with delphiniums between the roses. It's beautiful in full bloom. Need to add boxwoods in front of the roses that I've been saying I'm going to do for two years now.
Claire Austin
Mary
I can’t understand how folks could look at a DA rose and not want 10 of them.
LOVE Queen of Sweden and PA of Kent and Crown Princess Margareta and Teasing Georgia and and and...
I am so sad still over his recent passing.