Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SPLATT™ event information and discussion forum. South Carolina Piedmont Lycospersicum Annual Tomato Tasting

Old February 6, 2009   #1
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Default Planning SPLATT 2009

Its time start thinking about this years tasting. It will be the 3rd week in July as always which is July 18th. The tasting will start at 1200 noon and go till whenever. I plan to do tours of my garden again this year. I will do a morning tour around 1000 followed by an afternoon tour.
There will be BLTs water tea and soft drinks as before along with lots of tomatoes. I would like to get some help with setting up and running a blind taste test, a panel discussion on growing for question and answers.And I never sseem t get enough pictures, I am always caught up in the monent talking with everyone so If I can have a volunteer to take tons of pictures, I have a good digital camera that can be used. Also I am offering TWO $25 PRIZES,a prize for best entry, and largest tomato. I hope to get a good showing from the folks here at tomatoville as in the past and those who haven't it is time you did. I will post my proposed list of tomatoes for this year when I finalize it. Here's to a good year. Rodger
Old February 28, 2009   #2
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Hi Rodger!

I'm going to do my best to make it this year. If there is anything I can do to help out let me know. I'm "right down the road" so to speak

I am still finalizing my grow list for this year. I am running a bit behind (this winter has been very busy for me) but am planning to use up seeds from my stash rather than buying anything new. I have seeds from both trades and purchases that I've never tried!

I'll post a final list next week (I already have my seed starting supplies ready to go!) Maybe some of the others here who are thinking of coming will post their grow lists, too

I can't wait! July and tomato tastings seem awfully far away right now. We have snow predicted for Monday (March 2) which will be the third time this year! It's been a long, cold winter by SC standards.

Jennifer
Old February 28, 2009   #3
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

I also meant to mention...I will be glad to take pictures. I have a digital camera as well that I can bring.

Some of your ideas sound great, btw
I'm sure it's going to be a fun event!
Old April 26, 2009   #4
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

Roger,

I bought what was labled a "black tomato" from you in Columbia, earlier in the month. I would like to know exactly which black tomato it is. It's doing nicely, but I'd like to know what to expect.

I'm looking forward to SPLATT!

Marion
Old April 29, 2009   #5
rodger
Tomatovillian™

it is hard to say which black it is, the label should have had the variety. It might be black tom which is a very good tomato and that is the variety name. Rodger
Old April 30, 2009   #6
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

Default black tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodger View Post
it is hard to say which black it is, the label should have had the variety. It might be black tom which is a very good tomato and that is the variety name. Rodger
That is what the label said "Black Tom" - I was not familiar with that particular tomato, could you provide me with any basic info? I tried doing a search and I found entries for black tomatoes (different varieties), but not a specific tomato by that name.

Thanks.

Marion
Old April 30, 2009   #7
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Worth posted a description from TGS on Black on another thread:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=11054&page=2
Old April 30, 2009   #8
emmaloufudge
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I'll check that out!
Old April 29, 2009   #9
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

So, my sister and I are hoping to make it this year. We left our email addresses with you at the Flower Festival in Columbia. I take it you'll send out directions and such by email?

We can take lots of pictures as well and will gladly share them.
Old April 30, 2009   #10
rodger
Tomatovillian™

That will be great and yes I will send out directions etc about mid to late June and I will also post it here. Rodger
Old June 6, 2009   #11
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Rodger,
My nickname at Tomatoville is now Liz. But, I am still Beth from Chapin.. I bought a new computer, and it was just easier to create "Liz" than try to find my old passwords,etc.
I bought some of your tomatoes at the April fairgrounds mkt. ALL are doing well, and yes, I gave up the containers and sterilized and went back to the ground.
Paul Robeson is such a good looking plant and Druzbah is pumping iron. Had a few probs. with aphids, but a good blast of water and some insecticidal soap solved that. I have used all kinds of mulch- manure, wheat straw, ground bark, compost... No signs of wilts or fungi yet; the nights are still cool and I have my fingers crossed.
I am not working July 18th. I would be delighted to help at SPLAT. I think I have your cell# on an old phone and I think I gave you mine. Let me know.
Lastly, are you and Karen grandparents yet?
Good to talk (kinda) to you..
Be well, Liz............ aka Beth
Old June 8, 2009   #12
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Gald your tomatoes are looking good. Mine are doing well but I am way behind I finally caged the last few yesterday and they need to have been done a month ago. I would appreciate the help with the tasting. We are not grandparents yet. The baby is not due till Oct 30th. I still can't believe I am going to be a grandpa and my son a dad. Our daughter is unofficially engaged they are planning a wedding next spring. I don't know what he is waiting for to make the official anouncement he bought the ring and she thinks he will make it official once he moves into his house which will be in Aug.So there is a lot going on for me. Rodger
Old June 13, 2009   #13
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Don't know what I did with this ole' keyboard to quicksend my first message. But I was about to say that I came home today to see one of my plants drooping at the new growth .... It looks mostly still healthy but the new growth is drooping over. Is it early wilt do you think. I sprayed, watered and prayed. Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks, Liz-Beth
Old June 13, 2009   #14
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Wow, your plate sounds really full, mostly with good stuff but still full!
As I said, I would be happy to help with SPLAT. I'm off Sat., but I have to work Fri. before 'til 7. I am off Thursday, tho' and can help then too.
I never should have said all is well in the patch; I think I cursed myself.
Yesterday at dusk, I strolled my flower beds and 'mater patch. All was well. Tonight I came home from work and one of my plants l
Old July 8, 2009   #15
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

So, we're ten days away. Were you going to post more details? I thought I might post it to another gardening group with several South Carolina members.